The first local groundhog day dinners took place in the early 1900s. Farmers belonging to the Richwood Men’s Bible Class made the sausage and prepared supper for the entire congregation of Richwood Methodist Church.
The event is a fun-filled evening for the entire family. In addition to the home-cooked menu, the program includes a popular silent auction and perhaps the only opportunity in South Jersey to sing Groundhog Day songs. Tickets for the event are $15 and available at the Amazing Grace Resource Center, 33 South Main Street, Mullica Hill, NJ (856-478-9800) and at the door. Doors open at 5:30 pm. Advance purchase is recommended since seating is limited.
All proceeds benefit the Society’s exhibitions and educational programs at the Society's Old Town Hall Museum, located at the intersection of South Main Street and Woodstown Road. The Museum reopens on Saturday, March 8 with a new exhibition focusing on 150 years of folk and fine art from the Society's collection. For more information, visit www.harrisonhistorical.com.
The program will be held at Bulls Island Recreational Area, 2185 Daniel Bray Highway, Stockton, NJ. For more information and to register, call 609-397-2949.
Workshops are open to the public on a no-fee, walk-in basis and are designed to equip the "do-it-yourself-er" with the skills and information needed to tap a backyard maple tree. Workshops last 45 minutes and are offered at 11:00 am, 1:00 pm, and 3:00 pm.
Taps, tubing, and other sugaring supplies will be available for sale.
Between 11:00 am and 3:00 pm, stop in for a children's craft program called "Tree Taps." Participants will make their own spout, or tap, from staghorn sumac. Families are welcome on a walk-in basis (groups of eight or more must pre-register). The craft will take approximately 20 minutes to complete. Materials fee: $1.00.
Remarkably, five of the original houses that served as general staff headquarters during that winter still exist and are open to the public. The beautifully restored houses are the Van Horne House in Bridgewater; the Van Veghten House in Finderne, the Abraham Staats House in South Bound Brook; the Jacobus Vanderveer House in Bedminster, and the Wallace House in Somerville.
On Saturday, February 1, (Super Bowl Saturday) all five houses will be open and FREE to the public from 1:00 - 4:00 pm, with the exception of the Jacobus Vanderveer House, which will only be open from 4:00 - 6:00 pm. All will have special tours, displays, and events. This is a perfect opportunity to share with your Super Bowl guests something about the interesting history of Somerset County.
Address for the five sites:
- Abraham Staats House: Inspector General Frederick von Steuben's Headquarters, is located at 17 Von Steuben Lane, South Bound Brook, NJ.
- Philip Van Horne House: General William Alexander's (Lord Stirling) Headquarters, is located at 941 East Main Street, Bridgewater, NJ.
- Derrick Van Veghten House: Quartermaster General Nathaniel Greene's Headquarters, is located at 9 Van Veghten Drive, Bridgewater, NJ.
- John Wallace House: General Washington's Headquarters, is located at 71 Somerset Street, Somerville, NJ.
- Jacobus Vanderver House: General Henry Knox's Headquarters, is located in River Road Park, Bedminster, NJ.
The Valentines and postcard exhibit was loaned from a larger collection by Jean Groszmann, who has been collecting them for over four decades. The collection spans the period beginning in 1840 through the 1920s and includes German, English and American produced valentines including penny post cards.
The majority of early Victorian valentines were customarily made by hand from honeycombed tissue, watercolors, paper puffs, embossed paper hearts and exquisite lace. These truly beautiful small works of art harken back the days of old when Valentines expressed sentiments of adoration through hand crafted excellence.
The exhibit will be open from 1:00 - 5:00 pm on Saturday, February 1 and 8 and on Sunday, February 2 and 9.
In addition to the display, there will be a valentine workshop on the history of Victorian valentines hosted by the Union County 4-H Living History Club at the Reeve History & Cultural Resource Center for children ages 6-12 on Saturday February 8 from 10:00 am - 12:00 noon. An adult must accompany each child registered for the workshop. Each attendant will make a valentine to take home. The cost is $3 to cover supplies. Registration is limited so please call soon to reserve your spot. For more information and to register, please call 908-654-1794 or e-mail email@example.com. www.westfieldhistoricalsociety.org
Sunday, February 2 - South River, Middlesex County
Guided tours leave throughout touring hours, with the last tour leaving around 3:00 pm. The galleries and gift shop, which stocks a range of Thomas Nast Christmas items including cards, prints and ornaments as well as other gift items, are open until 4:00 pm.
The Macculloch Hall Historical Museum is located at 45 Macculloch Avenue, Morristown, NJ. For more information, call 973-538-2404 or visit www.maccullochhall.org.
Indira Bailey is a second-generation Plainfielder and is an extraordinary artist, illustrator, and educator. Indira received a B.F.A. in illustration from Pratt Institute and M.A. in Educational Leadership & Supervision from Kean University. Ms. Bailey's work demonstrates her pride, talent, and her interest in showing her experience as an African American woman and her travels in a positive light. Ms. Bailey has exhibited artwork throughout the tri-state area.
"Indira Bailey Art Exhibit" will be on display in the second floor ballroom of the Drake House Museum, and the exhibit will be on display until March 9, 2014. Donations are always appreciated. All are welcome during regular tour hours, 2:00 - 4:00 pm on Sundays, or by appointment.
The Drake House Museum is located at 602 West Front Street, Plainfield, NJ. For more information call 908-755-5831 or visit www.drakehouseplainfieldnj.org.
The Cornelius Low House, built in 1741, was the home to its namesake and is only one of two remaining buildings from historic Raritan Landing. This high-style Georgian mansion is listed on the National Register and operated by the Middlesex County Cultural and Heritage Commission. Admission to the museum is FREE. The museum is located at 1225 River Road, Piscataway, NJ. For more information, visit http://www.co.middlesex.nj.us/culturalheritage.
Regular Museum admission is $5.00 for adults, $3.00 for seniors, students & children (ages 6 and older), and free for members and children under 6. Family maximum admission $13.00. The Museum is open Tuesday - Saturday 10:00 am - 4:00 pm and Sunday 12:00 noon - 5:00 pm. The Museum of Early Trades & Crafts is located at 9 Main Street in Madison, NJ just two blocks from the Madison train station. For information, please call 973-377-2982 x10 or visit www.metc.org.
Gloucester County Historical Society Museum is open Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 1:00 - 4:00 pm and the last Sunday of the month from 2:00 - 5:00 pm. Adult admission $5; children 6-18 years $1; children under 6 free. The museum is located at 58 North Broad Street, Woodbury, NJ. For more information, call 856-848-8531 or visit www.rootsweb.com/~njgchs.
Opening on September 7 and running through February 23, 2014, “Where in the World is New Jersey? Historical Maps of the Garden State” is comprised of nearly 100 maps depicting the colony and state of New Jersey from 1635 through 1950 on display at the New Jersey State Museum.
This unprecedented exhibition provides the visitor with an introductory survey of historical maps depicting the colony and state of New Jersey from 1635 until 1950. The nearly 100 maps on display – most of which are original hand-colored copperplate engravings or chromolithographs – come from the collections of four public institutions – the New Jersey State Museum, State Archives, State Library, and Special Collections and University Archives at Rutgers University, New Brunswick. They were selected for their rarity, their ability to convey aspects of New Jersey history, and their artistic merit – underscoring the dual role of maps as both works of art and utilitarian tools essential to the human experience.
The New Jersey State Museum, located at 205 West State Street in Trenton, NJ is open Tuesday through Sunday from 9:00 am - 4:45 pm. The Museum is closed Mondays and all state holidays. The NJ State Museum has a “suggested” admission fee. For more information, visit www.statemuseum.nj.gov or call the recorded information line at 609-292-6464. On weekends, free parking is available in lots adjacent to and behind the Museum. Please visit www.trentonparking.com for a number of options for parking in downtown Trenton during the week.
"Controversies: The More Things Change..." Exhibit
Currently on display at Macculloch Hall Historical Museum is an exhibition about topics that helped shape our world. "Controversies: The More Things Change..." opens new territory for the Museum, presenting challenging subject matter that may not be suitable for casual dinner conversation. This new exhibit explores topics that helped shape our world through local history events which had national significance: medical experimentation, immigration, and the right to die.
"Controversies: The More Things Change..." inspires people to consider, even reconsider, the ways in which they think about these important, frequently debated issues. The exhibit explores local history events which had national significance: the 1833 Antoine LeBlanc murder trial and public execution; the immigration issues of the late nineteenth century as depicted by political cartoonist Thomas Nast, a Morristown resident, and the 1976 Karen Ann Quinlan "right to die" case.
The museum is making a major departure in exhibit presentations with "Controversies." Where most exhibits typically provide detailed information about the objects on view, "Controversies" offers limited information about the objects, essentially forcing personal thought, and inspiring discussion, about the areas represented. Each object and concept in the exhibit represents a part of New Jersey's history - specifically Morris County's history. The ideas expressed through the historical objects in the exhibit, however, are not confined to New Jersey boundaries- the significant concerns raised by the important and controversial issues showcased in this exhibit continue to be debated throughout the United States and the world.
"We wanted to give our visitors a chance to participate in an exhibit in a new way - to have a reaction without being guided by the institution's interpretation of what the objects represent, which labels typically provide," said Executive Director Carrie Fellows. Instead, curator's books of supplementary information will be available within the exhibit, should the visitor want to learn more, drawn from primary sources like news articles, contemporary commentary, and images. Visitors are encouraged to leave comments about the themes presented.
The exhibition was inspired when Fellows and Ryan C. Hyman, the Museum's curator, heard Burt Logan, Executive Director of the Ohio Historical Society speak at a conference about the organization's groundbreaking "Controversy: Pieces You Don't Normally See" exhibit, and its sequel, "Controversy 2: Pieces We Don't Normally Talk About". During his talk, Mr. Logan strongly encouraged other museums to adapt the concept and develop similar exhibits. Inspired by the presentation, Hyman and Fellows began discussing how they might create an exhibit using themes from the Morris area's rich history.
"Controversies: The More Things Change..." will be on view during Museum touring hours through June 2014. Please note the subject matter may not be suitable for all audiences. Visitor discretion advised. Recommended for visitors 12 years of age and older.
Macculloch Hall Historical Museum preserves the history of the Macculloch-Miller families, the Morris area community, and the legacy of its founder W. Parsons Todd through its historic site, collections, exhibits, and educational and cultural programs. The Museum is open for house and exhibit tours on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays from 1:00 - 4:00 pm. The last tour leaves at 3:00 pm. Adults $8; Seniors & Students $6; Children 6 - 12 $4. Members and children under 5 are free. For more information, call 973-538-2404 ext. 10 or visit www.maccullochhall.org. Macculloch Hall Historical Museum is located at 45 Macculloch Avenue, Morristown, NJ.
The exhibit is free and open to the public, though a small donation to the Society would be appreciated. The Little Red Schoolhouse Museum is open on the second and fourth Sundays of every month from 2:00 - 4:00 p.m. The Lyndhurst Historical Society was established in 1984 in an effort to preserve the 1893 schoolhouse, located at 400 Riverside Avenue, Lyndhurst, NJ. For more information, call 201-804-2513 (leave a message) or visit www.lyndhursthistoricalsociety.org.