Among the History Press authors in attendance will be:
Linda J. Barth, A History of Inventing in New Jersey: From Thomas Edison to the Ice Cream Cone
Valerie Josephson, Stirring Times: The Lives of New Jersey's First Civil War Surgeons
Wayne McCabe, Newton and other titles
Kevin Wright, A History of the Andover Iron Works; The Andover Forge
Peter Lubrecht, Germans in New Jersey; New Jersey Butterfly Boys in the Civil War
Jude Pfister, The Jacob Ford Jr. Mansion; The Fords of New Jersey
Tom Austin, Bill Miller's Riviera
Michael Gabriele, The Golden Age of Bicycle Racing in New Jersey; The History of Diners in New Jersey
The event will be held at the Hill Museum, home of the Sussex County Historical Society, 82 Main Street, Newton NJ. For more information, call 973-383-6010, e-mail email@example.com, or visit www.sussexcountyhistory.org.
Horse-drawn hayrides (or sleighrides!) will be offered on a continuous basis from 11:00 am - 3:00 pm. There is no charge for the rides, but donations of canned goods will be accepted for distribution to local food banks. At 3:00 pm, donors will be eligible to win door prizes - including bells worn by the Farm's horses.
Sleighbells will be sold throughout the day by The Friends of Howell Farm to benefit the Farm's restoration projects. The bells are made by harnessmaker Mervin Martin, who makes the harnesses and sleighbells worn by the Farm's workhorses. Brass and nickel plated bells will be sold in straps of six, twelve, and twenty bells. Reproduction cast bells, bell door ringers and bell ornaments will also be available.
Other holiday items featured at the annual fundraiser include fresh evergreen wreaths and door hangings; the Farm's flour and honey; and beautiful handmade items sewn by the Pleasant Valley Stitchers.
A children's craft program, "Pine Cone Bird Ornament," will be held on a walk-in basis, from 11:00 am - 3:00 pm. Projects take 20 minutes to complete and cost $3 each. Groups (eight or more) must pre-register.
After-The-Holiday Open House
Celebrate Christmas Past and Present in Bedminster
The fundraiser features: house tours, artisans selling handmade items, Colonial holiday decorations, Colonial musicians and reenactors, Santa visits, and permanent exhibits - The Kitchen Hearth, The Vanderveer Parlor, The Knox Bedroom, and the Lumber Room.
* 10:00 am - 4:00 pm – Lambs Artillery Encampment
* 10:00 am - 4:00 pm – Vendors
* 10:00 am - 4:00 pm – Colonial Re-Enactors
* 11:00 am - 1:00 pm – The Enslows perform Colonial American Christmas Music
* 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm – Santa Visit
Sunday, December 1
* 10:00 am - 4:00 pm – Vendors
* 10:00 am - 4:00 pm – Colonial Re-Enactors
* 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm – Santa Visit
* 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm – Harmonium Choral Group
Admission is $10 (children 12 and under, free). The house is open from 10:00 am - 4:00 pm on Saturday and Sunday, November 30 and December 1 and Thursday through Sunday, December 5 - 8. The Jacobus Vanderveer House is located at 955 Route 202/206, Bedminster, NJ, behind River Road Park. The entrance to the house is via River Road Park. For more information, call 908-396-6053 or visit www.jvanderveerhouse.org.
Old Fashioned Holiday Tours
A very special candlelight tour with a luminary light walkway is scheduled for Sunday, December 8th from 5 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. All dates are weather permitting and cookies and cider will be available.
The decorative theme for 2013 is "A Natural Holiday". Each tree in the rooms will be decorated with different types of ornaments. There will also be a natural decoration workshop with pine cones set up in the Cole Room and handmade ornaments from our crafters will be for sale in The Foster General Store. The Foster-Armstrong House is located at 320 River Road / C.R. 521 in Montague, NJ, about 1 mile north of the Milford-Montague Bridge. For more information, visit www.montaguehistory.org.
Holiday Open House
The imaginative holiday décor created by the Community Garden Club of Hunterdon based in Whitehouse and the Hunterdon Hills Garden Club of High Bridge adds much to the tour both inside and outside the house. Decorating committee Co-Chairs Debi DeLorenzo and Barbara Stawicki for the Whitehouse club and Chair Chris Endris of the High Bridge club, report they are working in tandem this year. Evergreens, gold bows, white paper angels, three-dimensional gold paper stars, hydrangeas, amaryllis and apple roses will wreath the elliptical staircase, adorn the tree and beautifully decorate the formal parlor and dining room. The table will be set for Christmas dinner. Visitors will find many clever ideas to copy for their homes. Docents in every room will tell the stories of the antique furnishings and what mid-1800s life in Flemington was like.
As an added treat, the newly renovated research library adjoining the museum will feature a tree and a display of holiday greeting cards from the Society’s Lorena Cole Vincent Collection, and other late 19th and early 20th century greeting cards from several Hunterdon County families.
Besides the holiday decorations, guests will see new appointments in the parlor, including an 1845 Argand-style whale oil chandelier created by Charles Tiffany of New Hope, an 1830 portrait of Anna Hope Foster of Clinton (hanging over a Chippendale-style desk made by her father in 1790), and new 19th-century-style lace panels at the windows. In the foyer, the Society has added a collection of nine walking sticks dating from 1722 to 1917.
The Doric House was built by Mahlon Fisher, a country carpenter of ability and taste, for his private residence. He also erected several other Flemington residences in the same style that are considered some of the best of their type in the U.S. but the Doric House is the only one remaining in non-commercial use. For more information, call 908-782-1091 or visit www.hunterdonhistory.org.
The afternoon includes visits with Santa, horse drawn carriage rides, live music, homemade trifle, museum tours and a bake sale. The event and refreshments are free and open to the public.
The society's museum is located at 900 Main Street, Stillwater, NJ. For more information, call Betty English at 973-903-3941 or visit www.historicstillwater.org.
In addition to the regular coaches that make up the train, make your day extra special by purchasing limited tickets for a nostalgic Christmas ride aboard the museum's elegant 1927-era Central Railroad of New Jersey (CNJ) Club Car, Jersey Coast. Specially decorated for the Christmas holidays in a pre-World War II style, the car has the warm look and feel of a private club with individual leather chairs, mahogany interior accented with stained glass, built-in tables and period ceiling fans. The Jersey Coast, recalls the 1930s when the CNJ operated its deluxe coach train, The Blue Comet, between Jersey City and Atlantic City, NJ. The striking, authentic exterior paint scheme of cream and blue reminds one of a comet streaking through space. It is the only car of its type operating in New Jersey.
So round up your family and friends and climb aboard for some great Christmastime fun and laughter! Ordering tickets is fast and easy! Trains depart at 1:00, 2:00, 3:00, and 4:00 pm each day, rain, sleet, or shine. The Whippany Railroad is located at 1 Railroad Plaza, at the Intersection of Route 10 West & Whippany Road in Whippany, NJ. Train fare: Adults: $14.00, Children (under 12): $9.00, Infants (1 year and under): Free.
To order tickets and for more information, visit www.whippanyrailwaymuseum.net or call 973-887-8177. The Whippany Railway Museum, a 501 (c) 3 non-profit Operating Heritage Railroad that is staffed by volunteers. Donations from the public help to keep the museum operational, but funds are still required to support this unique New Jersey treasure. Proceeds from the train rides further enhance the Museum's mission and its historic preservation efforts.
This year’s Festival of Trees exhibitors include: Arts Council of Princeton, Stony Brook Garden Club of Princeton, Dogwood Garden Club, Princeton University Art Museum, Princeton Doll & Toy Museum, Vicki Trainer, Rutgers Master Gardeners of Mercer County, McCarter Theatre, Keris Tree Farm & Christmas Shop, Barbara L. Mulea, Landau of Princeton, Hulit’s Shoes, One Simple Wish, D & R Greenway Land Trust, Garden Club of Princeton, and West Elm by Gordon Goode.
No reservations necessary. Morven is open to the public on Wednesdays through Fridays from 11:00 am – 3:00 pm and Saturdays through Sundays from 12:00 noon – 4:00 pm.
Admission $6, $5 for Seniors, and special pricing for families during Festival of Trees, $15 per group. Friends of Morven, free. Please note that during the Festival of Trees in December and early January, no formal tours are given, but docents are available to answer any questions. No reservations necessary. Morven Museum and Garden is located at 55 Stockton Street, Princeton, NJ. For more information, call 609-924-8144 or visit www.morven.org.
Children Friendly Site
Last Day of Exhibit
Dr. Harold received his MD in 1901 from McGill University, Montreal, Canada, where he met his wife Ruth. He and Ruth were married on January 8, 1900 at St. Mark's Church in Malone, New York. In the 1910 census, Dr. Pittis was living on Union Avenue, Lakehurst, with his wife and son Harold, who had received his MD from McGill University in 1937.
Dr. Harold Pittis was not only the town physician, but also Lakehurst's first postmaster, beginning in November 1918. He was reappointed twice and served until August 16, 1929. He financed the construction of the first post office.
The museum is open Wednesdays and Sundays from 12:00 noon - 3:00 pm. The Lakehurst Historical Society Museum is located at 300 Center Street, Lakehurst, NJ. For more information, call 732-657-8864 or click here.
The Cornelius Low House, built in 1741, was the home to its namesake and is only one of two remaining buildings from historic Raritan Landing. This high-style Georgian mansion is listed on the National Register and operated by the Middlesex County Cultural and Heritage Commission. Admission to the museum is FREE. The museum is located at 1225 River Road, Piscataway, NJ . For more information, visit http://www.co.middlesex.nj.us/culturalheritage.
Regular Museum admission is $5.00 for adults, $3.00 for seniors, students & children (ages 6 and older), and free for members and children under 6. Family maximum admission $13.00. The Museum is open Tuesday - Saturday 10:00 am - 4:00 pm and Sunday 12:00 noon - 5:00 pm. The Museum of Early Trades & Crafts is located at 9 Main Street in Madison, NJ just two blocks from the Madison train station. For information, please call 973-377-2982 x10 or visit www.metc.org.
Gloucester County Historical Society Museum is open Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 1:00 - 4:00 pm and the last Sunday of the month from 2:00 - 5:00 pm. Adult admission $5; children 6-18 years $1; children under 6 free. The museum is located at 58 North Broad Street, Woodbury, NJ. For more information, call 856-848-8531 or visit www.rootsweb.com/~njgchs.
Opening on September 7 and running through February 23, 2014, “Where in the World is New Jersey? Historical Maps of the Garden State” is comprised of nearly 100 maps depicting the colony and state of New Jersey from 1635 through 1950 on display at the New Jersey State Museum.
This unprecedented exhibition provides the visitor with an introductory survey of historical maps depicting the colony and state of New Jersey from 1635 until 1950. The nearly 100 maps on display – most of which are original hand-colored copperplate engravings or chromolithographs – come from the collections of four public institutions – the New Jersey State Museum, State Archives, State Library, and Special Collections and University Archives at Rutgers University, New Brunswick. They were selected for their rarity, their ability to convey aspects of New Jersey history, and their artistic merit – underscoring the dual role of maps as both works of art and utilitarian tools essential to the human experience.
The New Jersey State Museum, located at 205 West State Street in Trenton, NJ is open Tuesday through Sunday from 9:00 am - 4:45 pm. The Museum is closed Mondays and all state holidays. The NJ State Museum has a “suggested” admission fee. For more information, visit www.statemuseum.nj.gov or call the recorded information line at 609-292-6464. On weekends, free parking is available in lots adjacent to and behind the Museum. Please visit www.trentonparking.com for a number of options for parking in downtown Trenton during the week.
This new installation, which features rare fossil specimens on loan from the New Jersey State Museum, the Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University, and private collections, explores how fossil discoveries at 19th century marl mining operations around Mullica Hill attracted the interest of such notable early paleontologists as Yale's Othniel Marsh and Philadelphia's Charles Lyell, Timothy Conrad and William Gabb. As guest curator, Shirley S. Albright, retired Assistant Curator of Natural History, New Jersey State Museum has written, the historic significance of the classic Mullica Hill fossil locality cannot be underestimated. The exhibits show the diversity of prehistoric faunal life inhabiting the ancient ocean that covered Harrison Township, as well as Pleistocene fossils transported southward by melting glaciers.
The exhibition also discusses the area's geology and native stone deposits with photos of buildings constructed of limonite, or Jersey sandstone, that survive in the area from the 18th and 19th centuries.
With over sixty specimens, an introductory video, and activities for children in the gallery and to take home, Under the Sea offers insights into the area's ancient past for the entire family, and admission is free.
The Harrison Township Historical Society's Old Town Hall Museum is located at 62-64 South Main Street, Mullica Hill, NJ. The Museum is open Saturdays and Sundays, 1:00 - 4:00 pm, through December 14, 2013. For more information, call 856-478- 4949 or visit www.harrisonhistorical.com.
"Controversies: The More Things Change..." Exhibit
Currently on display at Macculloch Hall Historical Museum is an exhibition about topics that helped shape our world. "Controversies: The More Things Change..." opens new territory for the Museum, presenting challenging subject matter that may not be suitable for casual dinner conversation. This new exhibit explores topics that helped shape our world through local history events which had national significance: medical experimentation, immigration, and the right to die.
"Controversies: The More Things Change..." inspires people to consider, even reconsider, the ways in which they think about these important, frequently debated issues. The exhibit explores local history events which had national significance: the 1833 Antoine LeBlanc murder trial and public execution; the immigration issues of the late nineteenth century as depicted by political cartoonist Thomas Nast, a Morristown resident, and the 1976 Karen Ann Quinlan "right to die" case.
The museum is making a major departure in exhibit presentations with "Controversies." Where most exhibits typically provide detailed information about the objects on view, "Controversies" offers limited information about the objects, essentially forcing personal thought, and inspiring discussion, about the areas represented. Each object and concept in the exhibit represents a part of New Jersey's history - specifically Morris County's history. The ideas expressed through the historical objects in the exhibit, however, are not confined to New Jersey boundaries- the significant concerns raised by the important and controversial issues showcased in this exhibit continue to be debated throughout the United States and the world.
"We wanted to give our visitors a chance to participate in an exhibit in a new way - to have a reaction without being guided by the institution's interpretation of what the objects represent, which labels typically provide," said Executive Director Carrie Fellows. Instead, curator's books of supplementary information will be available within the exhibit, should the visitor want to learn more, drawn from primary sources like news articles, contemporary commentary, and images. Visitors are encouraged to leave comments about the themes presented.
The exhibition was inspired when Fellows and Ryan C. Hyman, the Museum's curator, heard Burt Logan, Executive Director of the Ohio Historical Society speak at a conference about the organization's groundbreaking "Controversy: Pieces You Don't Normally See" exhibit, and its sequel, "Controversy 2: Pieces We Don't Normally Talk About". During his talk, Mr. Logan strongly encouraged other museums to adapt the concept and develop similar exhibits. Inspired by the presentation, Hyman and Fellows began discussing how they might create an exhibit using themes from the Morris area's rich history.
"Controversies: The More Things Change..." will be on view during Museum touring hours through June 2014. Please note the subject matter may not be suitable for all audiences. Visitor discretion advised. Recommended for visitors 12 years of age and older.
Macculloch Hall Historical Museum preserves the history of the Macculloch-Miller families, the Morris area community, and the legacy of its founder W. Parsons Todd through its historic site, collections, exhibits, and educational and cultural programs. The Museum is open for house and exhibit tours on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays from 1:00 - 4:00 pm. The last tour leaves at 3:00 pm. Adults $8; Seniors & Students $6; Children 6 - 12 $4. Members and children under 5 are free. For more information, call 973-538-2404 ext. 10 or visit www.maccullochhall.org. Macculloch Hall Historical Museum is located at 45 Macculloch Avenue, Morristown, NJ.