Want to Spread The History?

Support the New Jersey History Trails App here!

Where to?

Somerset County, Morris County... even Cape May County!

No Place is too Small...

What may seem minute and insignificant is what makes history!

Redcoats!

Not only do I like to write about history - I love covering events too!

Spread the History!

Help bring awareness to the historic sites in your area.

From historic figures to historic places...

I want to teach America just how significant New Jersey is!

Monday, April 29, 2013

Mysteries of History: “...Do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars”

Mysteries of History
“Go to jail. Go directly to jail. Do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars”
Written by Scott M. Cooper

These famous words can be read on a Chance Card or a Community Chest Card during a game of winner take all called Monopoly. Since 1935, this game has sold 200 million sets worldwide, been played in 103 different countries, and is printed in 37 different languages. Rather impressive numbers for a board game based on economic theories of the late 19th , and the early 20th century.

The original name of this game was The Landlord’s Game and was invented in 1904 by homemaker Lizzie Maggie. This board game was based on the theories of American Political Economist, Henry George, an anti-monopolist who believed that only real estate should be taxed. Lizzie’s game showed the public that the property owners of the late 19th and early 20th century were becoming “fat-cats” at the immigrant’s expense.

An unemployed engineer of Germantown, Pennsylvania, Charles B. Darrow spent countless hours in 1933 playing and refining the real estate game. Newspapers of this time were loaded with articles about the financial problems of America. Darrow incorporated this information along with deed names of his favorite seaside resort, Atlantic City, New Jersey. After a few more tweaks, Darrow traveled to the home office of Parker Brothers Games in Springfield, Massachusetts and presented them with the game. The game gods of 1934 turned him down by claiming design errors, complex rules, and the length of time it took for one game.
That did not stop Darrow from making his dream come true. With borrowed money, he manufactured 5,000 sets of Monopoly. He brought them to a Philadelphia department store, and quickly sold every set. Players of this era loved the concept of winning a pile of cash and with the throw of the dice, possibly losing the whole shebang.

When word of Monopoly’s popular sellout reached the game gods, talks began again with Charles B. Darrow. In 1935, Monopoly was copyrighted and further precautions, Parker Brothers bought Lizzie Maggie’s patent for $500. Along with another game called Finance. With an executive’s background, Mr. Charles B. Darrow signed a contract with the game gods, which included a royalty’s clause that turned him into a millionaire.


About the Author
Scott M. Cooper, the author of "Mysteries of History," is a Massachusetts native, now living in Florida. Cooper, a freelance writer, is the owner of The Elegant Quill, which offers ghost writing, fiction, non-fiction, editing, and proofreading services. He may be contacted at smcooper5289@gmail.com.

Organization of the Week: Harmony Township Historical Society


Every Monday, I highlight a non-profit related to history or the arts, a historical society, preservation group or friends group whose main objective is to promote the historical and artistic history of New Jersey.

This week, I am featuring the Harmony Township Historical Society. The Harmony Township Historical Society maintains the Hoff-Vannatta Farmstead in Harmony Township, NJ, which includes the circa 1755 farmhouse, circa 1820 summer kitchen, 1824 bank barn, smokehouse, outhouse, and three wagon houses. The property on which the farmstead is situated was acquired by the State of New Jersey under the state's Green Acres program and is under the management of the Division of Parks and Forestry. Harmony Township, through the efforts of the Township Historic Preservation Commission and the stewardship of the Harmony Historical Society, has acquired a long-term lease and is in the process of restoring the farmstead to serve as a living history museum. The Harmony Historical Society hosts two open houses per year - one in the spring and one in the fall, featuring exhibitors, reenactors, exhibits, and programming.

The Harmony Township Historical Society relies on memberships, fundraising, and countless volunteers to continue its mission. For more information on programs, special events, and exhibits hosted by the Harmony Township Historical Society or to become a member or volunteer, please call 908-453-4381 or visit the Hoff-Vannatta Farmstead on Facebook.

If you are a member of a non-profit organization or know of one that you would like to see featured on this site, please let us know in the comments or send an e-mail to kelly@thehistorygirl.com.


Sunday, April 28, 2013

eBay Items of the Week: 4/28/13 - 5/5/13


eBay Items of the Week!
Click on each link for the eBay page!
More items always going up.
Stay updated about new items on Facebook.

Vintage Bugler Tobacco
Manufactured in Louisville, KY

Vintage Lori-Lynn Motel Postcard
Hannibal, MO


Vintage Magnolia Motor Hotel
Vicksburg, Mississippi

Vintage Cramer's Cabins Postcard
7 Miles East of Butler, PA


Vintage Albert Pick Motel Postcard
Colorado Springs, Colorado


Vintage Albuquerque Lorlodge West Motel Postcard
Albuquerque, New Mexico


Check out more Antique BooksBottlesEphemera, & Tins.

Friday, April 26, 2013

Weekend Historical Happenings: 4/27/13 - 4/28/13


WEEKEND HISTORICAL HAPPENINGS
Know about a historical event happening in your area? 
Send me an email to let us know!
Be the first to find out about these events on Facebook!

Friday, April 26 - Hopewell, Mercer County
Lindbergh Presentation

The East Amwell Historical Society and local historian Jim Davidson will present “The Sourlands were like a Roman Circus” on Friday night at 7:00 pm. The one-hour presentation will be at Hillbilly Hall, 203 Hopewell-Wertsville Road (aka Rileyville, Greenwood), Hopewell NJ 08525. Tickets are $12.00 and include pizza (drinks are extra). Space is limited and reservations are strongly encouraged – please RSVP to jdavid4194@aol.com.

Davidson, co-author of the recently released New Jersey’s Lindbergh Kidnapping and Trial, will tell the story of what happened locally from the night the Lindbergh baby was kidnapped from his home in East Amwell until the body of Charles Lindbergh, Jr. was found in the woods off Carter Road in Hopewell Township. Davidson and his co-author Mark Falzini, archivist at the NJ State Police Headquarters, uncovered over 1,000 pictures of the tragedy that had not been seen since the 1930s, many of which will be featured in this presentation.

-----------------------------------
Saturday, April 27 - Lebanon Township, Hunterdon County
Cemetery Cleanup

On Saturday beginning at 9:00 am, The Friends of Old Swack Church and cemetery grounds in Lebanon Township are sponsoring a cleanup of the grounds. Originally built in 1844, the church closed in 1894 and the grounds have been neglected, abandoned, and overgrown for years. The Old Swackhammer Church and Cemetery is located at 108 Anthony Road, Lebanon, NJ. Please bring rakes, shovels, gloves, clippers, chainsaws, and any other tools that you think may be helpful in clearing the grounds. Tell your friends and family about this opportunity to preserve a New Jersey historic site!

-----------------------------------
Saturday, April 27 - Morristown, Morris County
Being Green: 18th Century Style

Do you recycle? Are you ‘green’? Like many in the 18th century, Henry Wick was ‘green’ without even knowing it. Join a Park Ranger to discover what and how the Wick Family recycled in the course of their daily life. Program from 1:30 - 4:00 pm at the Wick House at Jockey Hollow, within Morristown National Historical Park. Cost: Free. www.nps.gov/morr

-----------------------------------
Saturday, April 27 - Haledon, Passaic County
Workers' Memorial Day Observance

The American Labor Museum/Botto House National Landmark will observe Workers' Memorial Day, a day set aside by the nation's unions to draw attention to the occupational health and safety of workers in the United States, on Saturday from 1:00 - 3:00 pm at the museum's headquarters, the historic Botto House National Landmark, 83 Norwood Street, Haledon, NJ. In addition to the traditional candlelight vigil, Irwin Nack, Associate Professor of History at William Paterson University (retired) and past president of the American Federation of Teachers Local Union 1796, AFL-CIO, will offer a presentation and lead a discussion on the topic "What Were the Real Issues in the Chicago Teachers' Strike of 2012?"

The first Workers' Memorial Day was observed in 1989. April 28th was chosen because it is the anniversary of the formation of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and the day of a similar remembrance in Canada.  Every year, people in hundreds of communities and at worksites commemorate Workers' Memorial Day as an International Day of Mourning.

The museum's hours of operation are Monday through Friday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm.  Tours are offered Wednesday through Saturday from 1:00 - 4:00 pm and by appointment.  For further information, visit www.labormuseum.net, call 973-595-7953, or e-mail labormuseum@aol.com.

-----------------------------------
Saturday, April 27 - Trenton, Mercer County
Tours of Trenton

This year marks the 26th time The Contemporary Club has offered a day of bus tours to show off New Jersey’s capital city. Your guide, a member of the Trenton Historical Society, will spend the day with you, offering the history, the context and the anecdotes that distinguish these tours and keep participants returning. All tours are $50 per person. The tours begin and end at The Contemporary Victorian Townhouse Museum, 176 West State Street, Trenton, NJ, located in the State House Historic District, across the street from the State House Complex. Buses depart promptly at 9:00 am and return at 3:00 pm. Coffee and Danish will be served starting at 8:30 am. The $50 fee includes lunch and covers all costs.

Wear casual clothes, comfortable shoes, and bring bottled water. Don’t forget your camera and don’t be late as tours start promptly.

Tour #1
Rebellion Relics and Resting Places
Guide: Charles Webster, Civil War Historian

Trenton and its residents played a more important role in the Civil War than most know, from the first shots fired on Fort Sumter to the arrival of Gen. George McClellan and on through Abraham Lincoln’s assassination. Visit the sites and relics of the war, and the final resting places of men and women who lived and died during this tumultuous time in American history.

Tour #2
Capital County Treasures
Guide:Dan Aubrey, U.S. 1 Newspaper

Mercer County was organized 175 years ago, and this celebratory tour travels in and around the capital city, visiting the nation’s first important archaeological site, a former king’s love nest, a hidden building by an internationally recognized architect, the oldest house in Mercer County, public art by major American artists as well as artists creating right now ~ and more.

Tour #3
Roebling in Two Towns
Guide: Sally Lane, Trenton Historian

The industrial complex that was John A. Roebling’s Sons is gone, but the family and the workers live on in two towns they dominated, Trenton and Roebling. This tour will include a walk across a Roebling suspension bridge and images of bridges and Roeblings in bronze, stone, oils and stained glass, as well as a tour of the workers’ town & the Roebling Museum.

Tour #4
Neighborhoods and the Arts
Guide: John Hatch, Trenton Architect

Trenton’s diverse neighborhoods house not only architectural gems, but beautiful art and interesting artists. This tour will visit not only some of the city’s best-known areas but also lesser-known neighborhoods and art venues, to introduce participants to a wide range of the established and emerging artists who make Trenton a vibrant and interesting place to live.

For more information and details, visit www.trentonhistory.org.

-----------------------------------
Saturday, April 27 - Chester, Morris County
Civil War Photographers

The Chester Historical Society will feature a lecture, "Ere the Shadows Fade: New Jersey's Civil War Era Photographers," on Saturday at 10:00 am at the Chester Library, 250 West Main Street, Chester, NJ. The program is open to the public free of charge and refreshments will be served. Gary Saretzky, Monmouth County Archivist and photographer, will deliver the lecture, which features several notable examples of New Jersey's Civil War era photographers and describes how the war boosted the photographic trade as more and more soldiers and families sought images of loved ones.

Photographers opened galleries throughout the state, and some traveled with the troops, including in the South. Trends developed. Many formal photographs of military officers are posed with a hand tucked in between buttons on their uniforms. A vast array of beards and moustaches were the style. Photographs served many purposes and became an invaluable record-keeping medium.

Mr. Saretzky lectures regularly on topics related to the history of photography and preserving photographs. He has published numerous articles and reviews on the history of photography, and his photographs have been in more than one hundred exhibitions. More information on this program and the Chester Historical Society can be found at www.historicchesternj.com.

-----------------------------------
Saturday, April 27 - Somerville, Somerset County
Somerset County Historic Preservation Symposium

On Saturday, from 9:00 am - 1:00 pm, a historic preservation symposium will be held. The purpose of this open, public forum is to bring together professionals from throughout New Jersey who have responsibility for planning, zoning, and historic preservation, or who have an interest in preserving and promoting our historic resources.

Participants will hear from a number of well-known preservation professionals on issues relating to the state and local regulations; economic benefits; and funding sources. Symposium participation qualifies as CLG training.

Among the featured speakers will be: Dorothy Guzzo, NJ Historic Trust; Andrea Tingey, NJ Historic Preservation Office; Wayne McCabe, Preservation Consultant; and Thomas D'Amico, Historic Sites Coordinator.

The cost of the symposium is $5 per person with advanced payment, and $10 with payment at the door.  Advanced payment can be made by mail or by credit card. The symposium will be held at 40 North Bridge Street, Somerville, NJ. For more information and registration, visit www.heritagetrail.org.

-----------------------------------
Saturday - Sunday, April 27 - 28 - Harmony Township, Warren County
House and Barn Tours

On Saturday and Sunday, tour the Hoff-Vannatta Farmstead located in Harmony Township between 11:00 am and 3:00 pm each day. Tours of this circa 1755 house and barns will be available, plus reenactors, live demonstrations, and hearth cooking. The Hoff-Vannatta Farmstead is located at 3026 Belvidere Road (Route 519). For more information, e-mail Ruth at historicalcomm@aol.com.

-----------------------------------
Saturday - Sunday, April 27 - 28 - Hancocks Bridge, Salem County
Civil War Weekend

The Friends of the Hancock House in cooperation with the state Department of Environmental Protection, and the Division of Parks and Forestry will sponsor a living history Civil War weekend on Saturday and Sunday.

The Union forces will be encamped on the grounds of the Hancock House, ancestral home of Civil War nurse, Cornelia Hancock. There will be activities for the family such as a presentation on the Victorian language of the fan plus musket drills. There will also be displays in the Hancock House.

At 10:00 am Sunday, there will be a service in the same meeting house Cornelia attended. She also taught school in a building on the grounds until leaving in July 1863 to go to the battlefield at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. The public is invited to the 10:00 am meeting/church service where you can sit in the very same seats the Hancocks used long ago.

The event will run from 10:00 am - 5:00 pm on Saturday and from 10:00 am - 4:00 pm on Sunday. The Hancock House is located at 3 Front St, Hancocks Bridge, NJ.

-----------------------------------
Saturday - Sunday, April 27 - 28 - Holmdel, Monmouth County
Sheep Shearing Weekend

On Saturday and Sunday, visit Historic Longstreet Farm for a weekend of sheep shearing. Gene Sheninger will return with his collies to show their herding skills. The Monmouth County Historical Association’s Holmes Hendrickson house staff will demonstrate the way wool was used in Colonial America with spinning and weaving activities. Longstreet Farm will provide wagon rides between the two living history sites. The event runs from 12:00 noon - 3:00 pm both days. Historic Longstreet Farm is located at 44 Longstreet Road, Holmdel, NJ. For more information, call 732-946-3758 or visit  http://www.monmouthcountyparks.com/page.aspx?Id=2530

-----------------------------------
Saturday - Sunday, April 27 - 28 - Lambertville, Hunterdon County
Shad Fest

On Saturday and Sunday, celebrate the annual return of the shad to Lambertville. In its 32nd year, the Shad Festival has evolved from a local art show into a nationally recognized award-winning event. Shad Fest features the area's finest artists and crafters, great food, live music from local bands, and family entertainment, but the two-day extravaganza also serves as a venue for local non-profit organizations to raise necessary operating funds. The festival will run from 12:30 - 5:30 pm each day, rain or shine. There will be over eighty arts and crafters, a food court, face painting, cotton candy, sand art, and other children’s activities.

On Saturday, The Delaware River Basin Commission will be teaching about how to test water quality at Lewis Island. In addition, attend an educational shad seining demonstration at Lewis Island. There will be a poster display and auction, with monies going toward scholarships for students pursuing a collegiate career in the arts. For more information, visit http://www.lambertville.org/ShadFestival.jsp.

-----------------------------------
Sunday, April 28 - Morristown, Morris County
National Junior Ranger Day


Visit Morristown National Historical Park on Sunday to celebrate National Junior Ranger Day. There will be special programs and activities for children and adults. Call 973-543-4030 or visit www.nps.gov/morr for a schedule of events, including nature hikes, colonial games, and more! Programs will be held between 10:00 am and 4:00pm at Jockey Hollow within Morristown National Historical Park. Cost: Free. 

-----------------------------------
Through June 30, 2014 - Piscataway, Middlesex County
Got Work? Exhibit

View the exhibit "Got Work? New Deal/WPA in New Jersey" at the 1741 Cornelius Low House Museum in Piscataway. The museum is open Tuesday - Friday, 8:30 - 4:00 pm and Sunday afternoons from 1:00 - 4:00 pm. The exhibit will run through June 30, 2014.

The Cornelius Low House, built in 1741, was the home to its namesake and is only one of two remaining buildings from historic Raritan Landing. This high-style Georgian mansion is listed on the National Register and operated by the Middlesex County Cultural and Heritage Commission. Admission to the museum is FREE. The museum is located at 1225 River Road, Piscataway, NJ . For more information, visit

-----------------------------------
Sunday, April 28 - Westfield, Union County
Sheep to Shawl Festival

Listen for the sounds of sheep bleating coming from the museum grounds on Sunday between 1:00 and 4:00 pm. During the "Sheep to Shawl Festival," the sheep will get their spring haircuts performed by a master shearer as it was done in the 18th and 19th centuries. Our volunteers will transform the wool in demonstrations of spinning, weaving, and knitting. Other early American farm tasks such as needlework, blacksmithing, butter churning and making the drink known as "switchel" will be showcased. The festivities also include a number of children's crafts and games and a May pole. Herb plants and baked goods will be on sale, and free refreshments will be available. The event will be held rain or shine. No reservations are required.

The museum’s gift shop will be open, offering a variety of colonial toys, crafts, books and educational materials. Admission: Adults/Children age 13 and older: $3.00; Children age 3 to 12: $2.00; Under age 3: free. The Miller-Cory House Museum is located at 614 Mountain Avenue in Westfield. For more information, call 908-232-1776 or visit www.millercoryhouse.org

-----------------------------------
Sundays through July 28, 2013 - Cranbury, Middlesex County
Wedding Display

The Cranbury Historical and Preservation Society's temporary exhibit entitled "The Look of Love - Bridal Fashions of the Twentieth Century" features wedding gowns, dresses and accessories from 1901 though the 1990s. A large collection of photographs, cards, wedding gifts, and assorted ephemera that span the century will also be on display. The Cranbury Museum is located at 4 Park Place East, Cranbury. www.cranburyhistory.org

-----------------------------------
Sunday, April 28, 2013 - Paterson, Passaic County
Exhibit Closing

Lambert Castle, the Victorian-era mansion located on the Garrett Mountain Reservation on the border between Paterson and Clifton, will be home to an exciting new art exhibit now through April 28, 2013. The exhibit, entitled "Message in a Bottle: The Bottleworks of Dr. Etta Ehrlich," will feature Dr. Ehrlich's unique and thought-provoking take on society and culture, using carefully-arranged antique bottles and other found objects. The exhibit will be open until April 28 during regular museum hours: Wednesday through Sunday, 1:00 to 4:00 pm. Lambert Castle is located at 3 Valley Road, Paterson. For more information, call 973-247-0085 or visit www.lambertcastle.org.

-----------------------------------
Some event listings courtesy of the League of Historical Societies of New Jersey

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Weekend Estate Sales: 4/26/13 - 4/28/13



WEEKEND ESTATE SALES
Click on each link for more information on the estate sale!
Find something neat at an estate sale? Let us know!
Hosting an estate sale? Send me an e-mail to be featured in our weekly post!
Be the first to know about these sales on Facebook!



Antique Furniture
Nutley, NJ 07110
9:00 am
Friday, Saturday, & Sunday (Same Time)


Intricate Antiques
Bernardsville, NJ 07924
9:30 am - 3:30 pm
Friday & Saturday (Same Time)



Antique Furniture, Law Book Collection, Steamer Trunk & More
Wyckoff, NJ
8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Saturday


Find more Estate Sales near you at estatesales.net

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Spending the Winter at Jockey Hollow

Spending the Winter at Jockey Hollow
Written by NJ Historian

The winter of 1779-1780 was the worst in over one hundred years. For the approximately 10,000 to 12,000 troops in the Continental Army in Morristown, New Jersey, it was especially difficult. The bitter cold combined with the lack of adequate food, shoes, and supplies, tested the will and abilities of many men. Was continuing to fight in the American Revolution worth it? Would the men be able to endure and survive until the springtime? The winter at Morristown was one of the most difficult periods for these troops and the continued suffering weighed heavily on General George Washington from his headquarters at the Ford Mansion in Morristown. Today, Jockey Hollow in Morristown National Historical Park remains very much as it did in 1780, with open fields and forest. The troops who endured the long winter at Morristown are forever remembered and their encampment sites remained preserved, an honor to these men who fought for freedom and the American cause over 230 years ago.


General George Washington chose Morristown, New Jersey for his winter encampment in 1779-1780. The area now known as Jockey Hollow in Morristown was ideal. It was thirty-one miles from New York City, which would give him adequate time to prepare a defense against the British. The Watchung Mountains and the Great Swamp to the east provided a natural defense, along with the Ramapo Hills to the north. The countryside was heavily wooded and few roads existed, making it relatively easy to protect entrances to the area.

While most people tend to think the winter at Valley Forge in 1777-1778 was a bad winter, in reality it was just an average winter. The following winter at Middlebrook, 1778-1779, was mild. Weather historians agree that the Morristown winter of 1779-1780 was the worst winter of the eighteenth century. According to David Ludlam's book Early American Winters, 1604 to 1820, twenty-eight separate snow storms hit Morristown during the winter of 1779-1780.

At Valley Forge, the army's inexperience was their main problem. For most of the soldiers at Valley Forge it was their first winter camp with the army. The camp layout and hut construction at Valley Forge was not up to the standards later used at Morristown. At Valley Forge, the men lived in damp conditions and did not properly take care of camp sanitation, resulting in sickness and death. However, by the winter of 1779-1780, most of the soldiers had learned from their mistakes and had grown accustomed to the harsh military lifestyle.

Interior of a solders' hut at Jockey Hollow.
There was already a foot of snow on the ground at Jockey Hollow when the Army arrived in December. Continental Army Surgeon James Thacher wrote in his diary: "The weather for several days has been remarkably cold and stormy. On the 3rd instance, we experienced one of the most tremendous snowstorms ever remembered; no man could endure its violence many minutes without danger to his life. ... When the storm subsided, the snow was from four to six feet deep, obscuring the very traces of the roads by covering fences that lined them. "

To illustrate the extreme low temperatures, General Johann de Kalb wrote: "...so cold that the ink freezes on my pen, while I am sitting close to the fire. The roads are piled with snow until, at some places they are elevated twelve feet above their ordinary level." 

Private Joseph Plumb Martin reported in his memoirs  "We are absolutely, literally starved. I do solemnly declare that I did not put a single morsel of victuals into my mouth for four days and as many nights, except for a little black birch bark which I gnawed off a stick of wood. I saw several men roast their old shoes and eat them, and I was afterward informed by one of the officer's waiters, that some of the officers killed a favorite little dog that belonged to one of them."

Interpretation of building the huts at Jockey Hollow. Source: National Park Service (NPS)
Because of these snowy conditions, the roads were impassible and no supplies could be brought to the troops. The Continental Army was in danger of starvation. A warm spell reached the area in mid-March, but by the end of the month, more snow fell and on April 1, 1780, another ten inches fell that day. Despite the extreme cold and near-starvation, only about one hundred died at Morristown’s 1779-1780 encampment.

Upon arriving at Jockey Hollow, Washington ordered that his army build a “log-house city.” But when soldiers first arrived in Jockey Hollow for their winter encampment, no log houses were yet built, and they had no choice but to sleep out in the open in the snow. Because of the weather, the task of cutting down the forest and constructing the huts was slow. Throughout most of December, the men slept under tents or with no covering at all. By Christmas, most of the enlisted men were in the huts, but the last huts for officers were not completed until as late as February of 1780. It took between two and three weeks for the soldiers to build their huts. Once complete, there were approximately 1,000 to 1,200 log structures throughout Jockey Hollow. The soldiers' huts were built eight in a row and three or four rows deep for each regiment. Eight infantry brigades occupied the site for seven months. In all, nine hundred acres of Jockey Hollow timber, notched together and chinked with clay, made the army’s winter quarters. Boards, slabs, or hand-split shingles were used to cover their simple gable roofs. Each soldiers' hut was uniform in its construction, approximately 14 feet wide by fifteen or sixteen feet long. The bunks were made of wood and each hut, designed to house twelve soldiers, included a fireplace and chimney at one end, and a door on the front. Windows were not cut in these huts until the spring. The officers' cabins were generally larger and varied in their design and construction. They would have housed only two to four officers and had two fireplaces and chimneys, and two or more doors and windows.

 Contemporary sketch of the Stark's Brigade camp in Jockey Hollow during the winter of 1779-1780. Source: NPS
Originally, the huts were meant to be used just for the winter of 1779-1780. However, some huts were used as a hospital after the army left in June 1780. During the winter of 1780-1781 some of the huts from Hand’s Brigade, the Connecticut Line and the Maryland Line were reused by Pennsylvania and New Jersey soldiers. When the New Jersey Brigade returned to Jockey Hollow for the winter of 1781-1782 they had to build new huts because the old huts were gone or unusable. Many of the huts constructed by the Continental Army were either torn down by the local farmers for their own use or eventually deteriorated over time. Farmers who had lost large amounts of timber due to the encampment wanted the huts for their boards, nails and wood that could be used for construction, fencing or fuel.

Today, five replicated soldiers’ huts are positioned on Sugar Loaf Hill. The first replica huts were built in the 1930s, following archaeological investigations. The huts were rebuilt a second time in the 1960s. These huts help demonstrate the simple and bare-bone living conditions that the troops faced after marching in the deep snow without shoes, using only cloth bandages to protect their hands and feet from frostbite.


The Wick Farm
In 1746, Nathan Cooper, of Roxbury (Chester) Township, and Henry Wick, “of Suffolk County, Long Island,” jointly bought 1,114 acres on the Passaic River known as the Dick Tract. Two years later, in 1748, Cooper released his half to Henry Wick. Between then and 1750, Henry Wick, an emigrant from Bridgehampton, Long Island, built the simple, one-and-a-half story frame home that would later serve as headquarters for Major General Arthur St. Clair during the encampment of 1779-1780. Locally, the house was referred to as Wick Hall, which can be explained by the fact that most of the homes in Morris County during this period were constructed of logs but this house was of frame construction and larger than most. Eventually, through subsequent purchases, the Wick property grew to over 1,400 acres.

Wick House, 1934, prior to restoration. Source: HABS
The Wick home is known as an integral lean-to, meaning that a lean-to off the rear of the home was part of the home's original construction and not a later addition or separate structure. This construction permitted the use of continuous rafters between the roof ridge and the eaves of the lean-to, thus providing a long, sloping roof of uniform pitch. This type of construction was common in New England and Long Island. It developed from the original one-room form of a house with a chimney constructed across one end. As the family grew, a second room would be built on the opposite end of the chimney, and eventually a room was added across the back of the home, containing a kitchen in the center with small bedrooms at either end. Oftentimes, the roof was also raised, allowing a full second floor. The rear addition, covered by a lean-to roof, produced the familiar "salt box" house with a long sloping rear roof. The Wick house exemplifies this evolved style of architecture, minus the second floor addition. The Wick House only contains an attic and not a full second story. On the exterior of the house, the front is covered in shingles, which has its origins in Dutch architecture, and the sides and rear is clapboard. This was a common type of exterior application found in southwestern Connecticut, Long Island and the Hudson River area.

Henry Wick, the owner of the house, served as Captain of a Morris County cavalry company during the war. He was involved in at least one sharp fight, though he was frequently detailed as guard for Governor Livingston and the Privy Council.

During the winter of 1776-1777, Major Joseph Bloomfield was quartered at the Wick House. During the encampment of 1779-1780, Major General Arthur St. Clair, then commander of the Pennsylvania Line, used the house as his headquarters. General St. Clair and two aides rented two rooms to serve as their office, dining room and bedrooms.


At the time of the encampment, the house was inhabited by Temperance (Tempe) Wick and her mother, Mary Cooper Wick. According to legend, in January, 1781, Tempe Wick was sent to get her brother-in-law, Dr. Leddel, to attend to her sick mother. Upon returning on her horse, several soldiers stopped her and told her that they needed the horse. Tempe escaped from the soldiers and returned to the house. Legend recounts that she hid the horse in a bedroom using a feather bed to muffle the sound of the horse's hooves. The soldiers eventually came looking for the horse and searched the barn and the woods surrounding the home, unable to find it. One version of this fabled tale states that the horse was kept in the house for three days, and yet another version says three weeks!

Henry Wick died on December 21, 1780 at Morristown, followed by his wife, seven years later, on July 7, 1787.

In 1933, Jockey Hollow and the Wick House were acquired by the National Park Service as America's first national historical park. The Wick House was examined and restored as part of the interpretation plan to recreate the Colonial atmosphere of the old Wick Farm, with its garden, barnyard, orchard, and cultivated fields. The home had been altered since the Revolutionary War. In 1934, the exterior walls were stripped and the original window fenestration was determined by studying the framing. Inside, most of the flooring had been replaced and what little may have been original, was severely compromised. Old flooring from homes in the area was installed. The plastered walls and ceilings were not original and were removed. By removing the floorboards in the attic, evidence of soot demonstrated that no plaster covered the ceilings throughout the house. In the kitchen, vertical sheathing was found behind the plaster, indicating the original walls that separated the rooms. 

Interior of the Wick House.
The chimney and fireplaces were altered in 1848, as indicated by a plaque above the oven door, giving architects and historians the task of recreating the fireplaces that would have once existed in the two front rooms. Historians were able to determine that each room in fact had a fireplace by the smoke stains on the ceilings. Using the existing bricks and brick from ruins of the nineteenth century Thompson house, located in the park, the fireplace in each room was reconstructed and the kitchen fireplace was made more shallow with a deep oven in the center. This arrangement was typical and consistent of houses from this period.

The work to restore the Wick House and build the new National Park was completed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). The CCC was a program developed by President Roosevelt in 1933 to put unemployed men to work and preserve the nation's natural and cultural treasures. In Jockey Hollow, the men built many of the trails, performed extensive archeology around the soldiers' huts, Wick Farm, and Guerin House. They also constructed the tour road, Wick House garden and replanted the apple orchard at the Wick House. The Wick House was restored through their assistance and that of "Local Experienced Men." The experienced townspeople were hired by the camp to provide training to the young men in their respective fields, such as masonry or woodworking. Because of the willingness of these men, many of the features visitors enjoy in the the park today were constructed or rehabilitated through their hard work.

As you walk through Jockey Hollow and Morristown National Historical Park today, remember the soldiers who suffered the long winters and over 150 years later, the young men who helped commemorate our forefathers and the soldiers of the Revolutionary War. 


Additional photos of my trip to Jockey Hollow on Pinterest

Audio
Jockey Hollow Podcast (right click and choose "save target/link as" to save to your hard drive)

For More Information:

Monday, April 22, 2013

Guest Blogging Guide


Do you like to write and have an interest in history and historic sites? TheHistoryGirl.com is looking for guest bloggers interested in visiting, researching, and writing about historic sites in their neighborhood or topics in history! Featured articles are released every Wednesday morning. The articles and site are publicized through Facebook posts throughout that week. The site you visit is also posted as the Facebook cover photo for the week, on a Pinterest board, and a related "Organization of the Week" blog post. 


Organization of the Week: The Washington Association of New Jersey


Every Monday, I highlight a non-profit related to history or the arts, a historical society, preservation group or friends group whose main objective is to promote the historical and artistic history of New Jersey.

This week, I am featuring the Washington Association of New Jersey. The Washington Association of New Jersey was officially chartered in 1874 by a special act of the Legislature of New Jersey to preserve the Ford Mansion, Washington’s Revolutionary War Headquarters during the bitter winter of 1779-1780. The Association restored and operated Washington's Headquarters until 1933 when it was transferred to the Department of the Interior by the Washington Association and became the nucleus of the country’s first National Historical Park. Lloyd Waddell Smith, a former president of the Association, gave the greater part of the Jockey Hollow land. Since then, the National Park Service has expanded the Jockey Hollow area through land purchase and donations with assistance from the Association.

The Association sponsors education initiatives and co-sponsors monthly lectures and symposia relating to Washington and the Revolution that are held at the Washington Headquarters Museum, in conjunction with the North Jersey American Revolution Round Table and the National Park Service.

The Washington Association of New Jersey relies on memberships, fundraising, and countless volunteers to continue its mission. For more information on programs, special events, and exhibits hosted by the Washington Association of New Jersey or to become a member or volunteer, please call 973-292-1874 or visit www.wanj.org.

If you are a member of a non-profit organization or know of one that you would like to see featured on this site, please let us know in the comments or send an e-mail to kelly@thehistorygirl.com.


Sunday, April 21, 2013

eBay Items of the Week: 4/21/13 - 4/28/13


eBay Items of the Week!
Click on each link for the eBay page!
More items always going up.
Stay updated about new items on Facebook.


Vintage Old Salem Brochure
Winston-Salem, North Carolina



Vintage Lincoln Caverns Postcard
Huntingdon, PA


From September 1968


Flemington, NJ


Savings Institution Bank Envelope


Vintage Pamphlet


1968 Pocket Calendar and 2 Shoe Horns


Old Bridge, NJ




From November/December 1968


Check out more Antique BooksBottlesEphemera, & Tins.

Friday, April 19, 2013

Weekend Historical Happenings: 4/20/13 - 4/21/13


WEEKEND HISTORICAL HAPPENINGS
Know about a historical event happening in your area? 
Send me an e-mail to let us know!
Be the first to find out about these events on Facebook!


Saturday, April 20 - Port Norris, Cumberland County
Play on the Bayshore

Join the Bayshore Discovery Center on Saturday from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m as they share stories about how folks spent their leisure time "playing" around the Bayshore Region in years past. Share a memory from your lifetime, a family anecdote or recollection, or just come to listen and learn. The event will be recorded and the information collected will be used for a planned future exhibit, and for research and education purposes as part of the Delaware Bay Museum & Folklife Center. If you have photographs, memories, or family stories of the area to share, join them at the Shipping Sheds in Bivalve. As always, this storytelling session is free and open to the public and refreshments will be served. For more information, call 856-785-2060 or email info@bayshorediscovery.org. Bayshore Center at Bivalve, Home of New Jersey's Tall Ship, A.J. Meerwald, 2800 High Street (Bivalve), Port Norris, NJ. www.bayshorediscovery.org

-----------------------------------
Saturday, April 13 - Lebanon Township, Hunterdon County
Cemetery Cleanup

On Saturday beginning at 9:00 am, The Friends of Old Swack Church and cemetery grounds in Lebanon Township are sponsoring a cleanup of the grounds. Originally built in 1844, the church closed in 1894 and the grounds have been neglected, abandoned, and overgrown for years. The Old Swackhammer Church and Cemetery is located at 108 Anthony Road, Lebanon, NJ. Please bring rakes, shovels, gloves, clippers, chainsaws, and any other tools that you think may be helpful in clearing the grounds. Tell your friends and family about this opportunity to preserve a New Jersey historic site!

-----------------------------------
Saturday, April 20 - Erma, Cape May County
Lighthouse Pig Roast

Join the Friends of the Cape May Lighthouse for a traditional pig roast to raise funds in support of educational interpretation of the lighthouse on Saturday from 3:00 - 7:00 pm. Moose Lodge, 569 Seashore Road, Erma. Entertainment by Twelve Strings. Admission is $20. Sponsored by the Friends of the Cape May Lighthouse, an affinity group of the Mid-Atlantic Center for the Arts & Humanities (MAC). For more information, call 609-884-5404 or 800-275-4278 or visit www.capemaymac.org.

-----------------------------------
Saturday, April 20 - Cape May, Cape May County
Fort Miles and other WWII Atlantic Coastal Defenses

Friends of the World War II Tower present "Focus on Fort Miles and other World War II Atlantic Coast Defenses." Dr. Gary Wray, president of the Fort Miles Historical Association, and Dr. Terry McGovern, of the Coast Defense Study Group, who will discuss fortifications along the Atlantic Coast during World War II. This program will be held at the Cape May Lutheran Church, 509 Pittsburgh Avenue on Saturday at 1:00 pm. Become a Friend of the Tower and admission is free. Non-member admission is $5. Sponsored by the Friends of the World War II Tower, an affinity group of the Mid-Atlantic Center for the Arts & Humanities (MAC). For more information, call 609-884-5404 or 800-275-4278 or visit www.capemaymac.org.

-----------------------------------
Saturday, April 20 - Maple Shade, Burlington County
Open  House

The Maple Shade Historical Society invites you to an Open House and Membership Meeting at Chesterford School located at 415 West Main Street, Maple Shade, NJ from 10:00 am - 2:00 pm. Emma Brooks, author of The Little Red School House in Maple Shade, will be present. For more information, please contact bettyann11@netzero.com.

-----------------------------------
Saturday, April 20 - Princeton, Mercer County
Canal Walk

The D&R Canal Watch invites you to walk the D&R Canal Main Line from Baker's Basin to Alexander Road (4.9 miles). Meet at the basin parking lot on Alexander Road, just east of Princeton. Questions? Contact  Bob Barth at 201-401-3121 or barths@att.net. The walk begins at 10:00 am.

-----------------------------------
Saturday, April 20 - Morristown, Morris County
Beginner's Blacksmithing

Budding metal-workers are invited to attend this beginner-level class led by Bill Barrett at Historic Speedwell in Morristown. Students begin with a discussion of ironworking’s overall historical impact and then learn the basics of blacksmithing using authentic equipment and techniques. Create a project that can be taken home. Ages 13 & up. Cost: $20 per person. Historic Speedwell is located at 333 Speedwell Avenue, Morristown, NJ. http://www.morrisparks.net/speedwell/home.html

-----------------------------------
Saturday - Sunday, April 20 - 21 - Jersey City, Hudson County
Cemetery Performance

On Saturday and Sunday at 2:00 pm each day, the Historic Jersey CIty & Harsimus Cemetery is presenting "Inherit the Wind," a live theatrical performance by the Hudson Shakespeare Company, directed by Jon Ciccarelli. The benefit performance of this literary classic will benefit the ongoing restoration of New Jersey's very first Cemetery company.

Sadly abandoned 5 years ago, the Historic Jersey City & Harsimus Cemetery is now a fully operational 100% volunteer operated mission, and open 7 days a week to visitors. With no regular income or funding, Volunteers are restoring this very special site through fundraising benefits that promote history, art, and music.

Enjoy the beautiful natural landscape of rolling hills, historic monuments, colonial plants and bushes, and ancient wildflowers, while enjoying this magnificent live performance. The Historic Jersey City & Harsimus Cemetery is located at 435 Newark Avenue, Jersey City, NJ. www.jerseycitycemetery.org

-----------------------------------
Saturday - Sunday, April 20 - 21 - Morristown, Morris County
Encampment Weekend

The Continental Army encampment comes to life! Join soldiers, their wives and children at Jockey Hollow on Saturday and Sunday for Encampment Weekend. It’s an event full of activities for the whole family. Call 973-543-4030 or visit www.nps.gov/morr for a schedule of events and details. The encampment will be held at Jockey Hollow, within Morristown National Historical Park. Cost: Free. www.nps.gov/morr

-----------------------------------
Saturday - Sunday, April 20 - 21 - Towaco, Morris County
Revolutionary Times Weekend

Revolutionary Times Weekend will be held Saturday and Sunday at the Henry Doremus Dutch Stone House, 490 Main Road (US 202) Towaco, NJ. A circa 1760 Dutch American Stone House that housed General George Washington and Alexander Hamilton between June 25 and 27, 1780. Hours are Saturday are 10:00 am - 4:00 pm and Sunday from 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm. The event will feature:

* Spinning, lace making and weaving demonstrations
* Live period music with fiddler and accompanist
* Continuous tours of site and Dutch architecture
* 18th century antiques on display
* Document display of George Washington letters and expense account

All Doremus family descendants are invited to attend for Doremus family events such as family genealogy, meeting other family members, and covered dish lunch (bring a dish to share) Saturday. Parking is available in Sea Breeze Parking Lot across the street from the house.

-----------------------------------
Sunday, April 21 - Morristown, Morris County
Collecting Oriental Rugs in America

On Sunday at 4:30 pm, Macculloch Hall Historical Museum welcomes Oriental rug expert DeWitt Mallary to discuss the evolution of Oriental rug collecting in America over the past century or so, as well as discussing the Museum's rug collection.  Macculloch Hall Historical Museum's collection was assembled by its founder, W. Parsons Todd. Todd joined the Hajji Baba Club, America's first rug collectors group, in 1933, shortly after the group began. Mr. Mallary will consider what rugs were available and considered collectible then, and throughout Mr. Todd's collecting period over the next several decades. He will also consider how tastes and preferences, supply and demand have affected the collecting of oriental rugs and textiles since then. Mr. Mallary will then discuss some of the rugs in the Museum's collection.

This program will be presented in the main gallery where vivid examples of the antique Oriental rug collection are currently being showcased, complemented by textbook examples of fine porcelain, silver, glass and furniture collected by Museum founder, W. Parsons Todd.  The "A Fine Collection: Treasures from the Vault" exhibit has a perimeter layout which leaves the center of the room open for a series of speakers and musical programming taking place in conjunction with the exhibit. Tickets for Sunday's program will go on sale at 1:00 pm that day. No advance sales. The presentation begins at 4:30pm. House tours (regular admission applies) take place throughout the afternoon and the last tour leaves at 3:00 pm. The upstairs galleries will remain open until 4:30 pm, with the "A Fine Collection" exhibit closing at 3:00 pm in preparation for the program. Tickets to hear speakers are Adults $8; Seniors & Students $6; Children 6 - 12 $4. Members and children under 5 are free. Speaker tickets include admission to take part in a house tour through the period rooms of the Museum for visitors who sign up for a tour during the afternoon. Visitors can also enjoy the "Thomas Nast: President Maker and Campaign Breaker," and the "American Heroes in Bronze" exhibits prior to the presentation. Galleries close at 4:30 pm.

Macculloch Hall Historical Museum preserves the history of the Macculloch-Miller families, the Morris area community, and the legacy of its founder W. Parsons Todd through its historic site, collections, exhibits, and educational and cultural programs. The Museum is open for house and exhibit tours on Wednesdays, Thursdays & Sundays from 1:00 - 4:00 pm. The last tour leaves at 3:00 pm. Adults $8; Seniors & Students $6; Children 6 - 12 $4. Members and children under 5 are free. The gardens are open (free of charge) during Museum hours. For more information, call 973-538-2404 ext. 10 or visit www.maccullochhall.org. Macculloch Hall Historical Museum is located at 45 Macculloch Avenue, Morristown, NJ.

-----------------------------------
Sunday, April 21 - Matawan, Monmouth County
Open House

The Matawan Historical Society will holding an open house on Sunday from 2:00 - 4:00 pm at the Burrowes Mansion located at 94 Main Street in Matawan. Learn how this circa 1723 home and its owners played a role in the Revolutionary War. For more information call 732-492-6069. www.burrowesmansion.org

-----------------------------------
Sunday, March 3 - Lincroft, Monmouth County
Railroads of Monmouth County

The Scroll & Pen Bookstore at Brookdale in Lincroft is pleased to announce a new lecture series, Monmouth Moments, featuring stories and images of Monmouth County, past and present. 

The second installment of this series includes a visit from historian Tom Gallo of the Keyport Historical Society on Sunday from 1:00 - 3:00 pm in the Warner Student Life Center on the Brookdale Campus. Gallo will be sharing his knowledge and history of the railroads of Monmouth County. Copies of Gallo's publications, Railroads of Monmouth County and Henry Hudson Trail: Central RR of NJ's Seashore Branch will be available for purchase and signing by the author.

-----------------------------------
Sunday, April 21 - Manville, Somerset County
Delaware & Raritan Canal Bus Tour

The Heritage Trail Association invites you to join Linda and Bob Barth, canal enthusiasts, on a bus tour of the Delaware and Raritan Canal, one of Somerset County's historic treasures. You'll visit locks, bridges, and other structures along the canal and learn how the canal was built by local workers and immigrants. The tour will visit some of the picturesque villages that grew up alongside the canal, and you will learn about the many industries that developed along its route. This is a perfect outing and a unique educational experience for the entire family. 

The bus tours will leave from the JP's Steakhouse/Rhythms parking lot, 729 South Main Street (Route 533), Manville (corner of the Weston Causeway, Route 623). The cost is $20 for adults and $10 for children 14 or under. Reservations are required. Call 732-356-8856 for reservations or sign up online at www.heritagetrail.org. Please indicate your preferred time: 10:00 am or 2:00 pm.

-----------------------------------

Sunday, April 21 - Burlington, Burlington County
Hunt Bros. Circus

The Circus is Coming to Town at the Burlington County Historical Society! Join them on Sunday from 2:00 - 4:00 pm for the "Hunt Bros. Circus."vThis special program by Richard Flint, past president of the Circus Historical Society and lecturer at Johns Hopkins University, features amazingly colorful circus posters and behind-the-scenes photographs to tell the remarkable story of the circus in America with a special feature on the Hunt Bros. Hunt Bros. had its winter quarters in Florence, NJ.

Cost for the program is $5 per person. To RSVP call 609-386-4773 or e-mail burlcohistsoc@verizon.net. The program will be held at the Corson Poley Center at the Burlington County Historical Society, 454 Lawrence St. Burlington, NJ. www.burlingtoncountyhistoricalsociety.org

-----------------------------------
Sunday, April 21 - Montclair, Essex County
Herbs: Then and Now

On Sunday between 3:00 and 4:30 pm, a panel of herbal experts will share their knowledge on how herbs were used in the past and how you can use them today. They will also talk about tips and techniques for growing your own herb garden and preserving them for future use. This program will be held at the Montclair  Historical Society, 108 Orange Road, Montclair, NJ. Suggested donation: $5. Call 973-744-1796 or send a note to mail@montclairhistorical.org for more information. www.montclairhistorical.org 

-----------------------------------
Sunday, April 21 - Ridgewood, Bergen County
Children's Day at the Schoolhouse Museum

Children in kindergarten through 5th grade are invited to the Schoolhouse Museum on Sunday to learn about quilt making, design a quilting square, and listen to a story about quilting read by Mrs. Diorio, Willard School Librarian, and guest readers.  Children will have the opportunity to see the museum's current exhibit, "The Collection," featuring woven coverlets and handmade quilts.

Children's Day at the Museum will be held from 2:00 - 4:00 pm. Stories will be read at 2:15 and 3:15 pm. Children must be accompanied by an adult. A donation to support the museum's operating budget of $3 per child, $5 for an adult, or $10 for a family is suggested. The Schoolhouse Museum is located at 650 East Glen Avenue in Ridgewood, NJ. For more information about Children's Day, e-mail info@ridgewoodhistoricalsociety.org or visit www.ridgewoodhistoricalsociety.org.

-----------------------------------
Sunday, April 21 - Cranford, Union County
From 19th Century Farm to Victorian Cottage Garden

The Cranford Historical Society presents "From 19th-Century Farm to Victorian Cottage Garden" on Sunday from 2:15 to 4:00 pm at the Crane-Phillips House Museum, 124 North Union Avenue, Cranford, NJ. Spring is upon us! Garden enthusiasts are preparing their gardens for the season. Why not get some ideas by stopping by the museum to see how gardens looked long ago. Through her PowerPoint presentation, trustee Christine Glazer will explore how gardens evolved over the years. Learn how gardens served more of a purpose than just beauty and aesthetics. After the program, take a tour of the Crane-Phillips House gardens to see it in bloom. Reservations are required, so please call 908-276-0082 or e-mail cranfordhistoricalsociety@verizon.net. Admission is free. www.cranfordhistoricalsociety.com 

-----------------------------------
Sunday, April 21 - Bordentown, Burlington County
Meet Albert Einstein

Bill Agress  of Lawrenceville has been an educator and re-enactor for over 30 years. One of his many historical characters is Albert Einstein. Bill's first-person interpretation of Prof. Einstein features little-known facts about the professor's connection to Bordentown, his family life, hobbies, and books he enjoyed as well as his scientific work. 

Einstein will be at the Friends Meeting House, 302 Farnsworth Avenue, Bordentown, NJ beginning at 3:00 on Sunday.  $5.00 donation is suggested. Light refreshments will follow the presentation. This program is sponsored by the Bordentown Historical Society. Any questions (other than scientific ones), call Diane at 609-298-3779. www.bordentownhistory.org

-----------------------------------
Sunday, April 21 - Lambertville, Hunterdon County
Lambertville in the Victorian Era

The Lambertville Historical Society will host Sharon Bisaha as she discusses her book on Lambertville in the Victorian Era on Sunday. Sharon Bisaha, former president of the Lambertville Historical Society, will present a talk outlining her process of discovery and some of the gems from her book, In the Beacon Light, Lambertville, NJ 1860 to 1900, from 2:00 - 4:00 pm at the Pittore Justice Center (Acme), 25 South Union Street, Lambertville, NJ. A book signing will follow. Ms. Bisaha's work, drawn from the pages of the The Lambertville Beacon, provides views of most aspects of life in town during this period of intense development and growth. The program is open to all and admission is free. For more information visit www.lambertvillehistoricalsociety.orge-mail info@lambertvillehistoricalsociety.org, or leave a message at 609-397-0770. The Lambertville Historical Society promotes, inspires and encourages the preservation and appreciation of Lambertville's architecture and history through education, community involvement, and preserving and maintaining the James Marshall House Museum.

-----------------------------------
Sunday, April 21 - Woodbridge, Middlesex County
Sewaren - Down by the Seashore

Before motor cars and highways opened up the Jersey Shore for day trippers and vacationers, the Sewaren section of Woodbridge Township was a recreation destination for the region. Accessible by train, trolley and boat and boasting the luxurious Sewaren Hotel, beaches, bathhouses, dancing pavilion, picnic grove, Boynton Beach's bamboo slide, merry-go-round and Ferris wheel, and fishing and boating off Cutter's Dock, Sewaren attracted relaxation seekers from New York City, central Jersey and the surrounding areas. Little remains of the resort but many of the age's lovely Victorian homes still line Cliff Road. Please join the Woodbridge Township Historic Preservation Commission in Sewaren on Sunday for their 4th Annual Walking Tour of Historic Places. Additional information and registration form can be found on the Commission's website www.wthpc.org.

-----------------------------------
Sunday, April 21 - Westfield, Union County
Quilling

The craft of quilling, also known as paper filigree, may not be well known today, but it is a very old art form that some say originated in ancient Egypt. More established history says that it was first practiced around the 15th century by European nuns who rolled handmade paper into intricate designs to decorate religious artifacts. The craft was revived as a decorative art in 18th century England by ladies of fashion who used it to embellish such items as boxes and screens, and then brought to the American colonies. On Sunday from 2:00 - 4:00 pm, this quilling program features this lovely art with demonstrations and a children's craft. 

The museum’s gift shop will be open, offering a variety of colonial toys, crafts, books and educational materials. Admission: Adults/Children age 13 and older: $3.00; Children age 3 to 12: $2.00; Under age 3: free. The Miller-Cory House Museum is located at 614 Mountain Avenue in Westfield. For more information, call 908-232-1776 or visit www.millercoryhouse.org

-----------------------------------
Through April 28, 2013 - Paterson, Passaic County
New Exhibit at Lambert Castle

Lambert Castle, the Victorian-era mansion located on the Garrett Mountain Reservation on the border between Paterson and Clifton, will be home to an exciting new art exhibit now through April 28, 2013. The exhibit, entitled "Message in a Bottle: The Bottleworks of Dr. Etta Ehrlich," will feature Dr. Ehrlich's unique and thought-provoking take on society and culture, using carefully-arranged antique bottles and other found objects. The exhibit will be open until April 28 during regular museum hours: Wednesday through Sunday, 1:00 to 4:00 pm. Lambert Castle is located at 3 Valley Road, Paterson. For more information, call 973-247-0085 or visit www.lambertcastle.org.

-----------------------------------
Some event listings courtesy of the League of Historical Societies of New Jersey