Exploring the History of New Jersey and Beyond!

Architecture, National Park Sites, Local Sites, and More!

Where to?

Somerset County, Morris County... even Cape May County!

No Place is too Small...

What may seem minute and insignificant is what makes history!

Redcoats!

Not only do I like to write about history - I love covering events too!

Spread the History!

Help bring awareness to the historic sites in your area.

From historic figures to historic places...

I want to teach America just how significant New Jersey is!

Monday, July 30, 2012

Historical Organization of the Week: Roebling Museum & Historical Society


Every Monday, I will now highlight a non-profit related to history or the arts, a historical society, preservation group or friends group whose main objective is to promote the historical and artistic history of New Jersey. 

This week, the Roebling Museum and Roebling Historical Society are being featured. The Roebling Museum   is dedicated to the preservation of the Roebling Steel mill industry and the town that was built around it.

The museum building, or the main gate, once served as the passage point for thousands of workers on their way to the steel mill each day. The building served as the hub of company activity. Offices processed payroll, time clocks, storage rooms, interview rooms, a jail house, phone operators, an infirmary and later an ambulance house. The building was built in 1907 to limit access to the factory grounds. Additions and alterations were made from 1919 through 1947.

The 7,000 square foot building was meticulously restored by the Environmental Protection Agency as part of the Superfund clean-up of the 240 acre Roebling mill site. The building was turned over to the Township of Florence and the Roebling Museum in June of 2009. The building now houses five galleries, the Roma Bank Media Room, offices, lobby gift shop and Ferdinand Roebling III Archives.


The Roebling Historical Society was organized in May of 1980 for the purpose of promoting the history of Roebling. 

http://roeblingmuseum.org
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roebling-Museum/111591675531939

If you are a member of a non-profit organization or know of one that you would like to see featured on this site, please let us know in the comments or send an e-mail to kelly@thehistorygirl.com.




Sunday, July 29, 2012

eBay Items of the Week: 7/29/12 - 8/5/12

Items up on eBay this week!
Click on each link for the eBay page!
More items always going up.
Stay updated about new items on Facebook.



Starting Bid: $8.50
1897 Antique Novel



Starting Bid: $4.00
Branchburg, NJ


Starting Bid: $2.00
Between Midland-Ross Corporation and Middlesex Lodge



Starting Bid: $2.50
International Association of Machinists and Aerospace


Starting Bid: $2.00
Vintage Pamphlet


Black & Decker Sander Booklet
Starting Bid: $2.00
Deluxe Dual Action Finishing Sander


Starting Bid: $10.00
A&P Coffee Services


Starting Bid: $15.00
Manufactured in PA!


Starting Bid: $7.00
Tin Collectors Delight


Starting Bid: $4.00
Postmarked 1938


Starting Bid: $3.00
Vintage, 1940


Vintage Epehemera - Ashland Sabre-Jig Saw Kit
Starting Bid: $3.00
From the 1970s


A-1 Block Company, Old Bridge, NJ - Vintage Advertising
Starting Bid: $2.50
From the late 1960s


East Brunswick Township Newsletter, 1968 - Vintage
Starting Bid: $3.00
From November/December 1968


Woolco Department Store Receipt - East Brunswick, NJ
Starting Bid: $4.25
From September1968



Starting Bid: $7.00
In protective plastic


Starting Bid: $10.00
July 21st Issue


Starting Bid:$10.00 
July 28th Issue


Starting Bid: $4.00
East Brunswick & South River, NJ


Starting Bid:$1.00 
Old Bridge, NJ


Starting Bid:$1.00 
Pocono, PA

Conley's Motel Postcard
Starting Bid:$1.00 
Pittsburgh, PA

The Museum of Historical Arms Envelope
Starting Bid:$1.00 
Miami, FL

Friday, July 27, 2012

Weekend Historical Happenings: 7/28/12 - 7/29/12



WEEKEND HISTORICAL HAPPENINGS
Know about a historical event happening in your area? 
Send me an email to let us know!
Be the first to find out about these events on Facebook!


Saturday, July 28 - Farmingdale, Monmouth County
Allaire Village presents the Music of Buddy Holly!

Allaire Village, Inc. presents The Music of Buddy Holly and other legends of early rock and roll! The concert will be on Saturday, July 28th at 8:00pm outside near the Allaire Chapel. RAVE ON! is a band that features the music of Buddy Holly, playing such hits as; "That'll Be The Day", "Peggy Sue", "Not Fade Away", "Oh Boy", It's So Easy and more! RAVE ON! is living proof that Buddy Holly and the music of early Rock & Roll is timeless and continues to appeal to people of all ages.

Tickets are limited so advanced purchase is recommended. Tickets are $15 per person, and are available by calling the Allaire Village office, Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., 732-919-3500 or tickets can also be purchased through their website via PayPal. Please have your credit card information ready. Indoor seating is limited to the first 100 ticket holders in case of inclement weather.

The Historic Village at Allaire is located in Allaire State Park at 4263 Atlantic Avenue in Farmingdale, NJ. For more information contact the Historic Village at Allaire office during business hours, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., at 732-919-3500 or visit http://www.allairevillage.org.

-----------------------------
Saturday, July 28 - Florence/Roebling, Burlington County
3rd Annual Roebling Museum Car Show

Join the Roebling Museum for its 3rd annual car show on Saturday between 10:00 am and 3:00 pm. Rain date is Sunday, July 29. 

The Roebling Museum is located in the historic village of Roebling. The museum presents the story of the engineering genius of John A. Roebling, the Roebling family, the company town of Roebling and the technological innovations and products produced by the company that shaped the industrialized world. The museum is housed in a 7,000 square foot building that was the gateway to the Roebling mill site. It was meticulously restored by the Environmental Protection Agency before being turned over to the Township of Florence and the Roebling Museum in June of 2009. For more information, visit http://www.roeblingmuseum.org or call 609-499-7200.

-----------------------------
Saturday, July 28 - Paterson, Passaic County
Teddy Roosevelt Discussion

Teddy Roosevelt, perhaps our most colorful President, became legend forboth his politics and his antics. He was a regular wintertime skinny-dipper, and lost sight in one eye boxing with a sparring partner - both while in office. At the time, he was the youngest and likely the richest President in history.

On Saturday, July 28, historian and Roosevelt expert Charles McSorely will be at Paterson's Lambert Castle to discuss the legend that is Teddy. The rousing discussion will begin at 2 p.m. Admission $5 (Passaic County Historical Society members admitted free). Visit www.lambertcastle.org or call 973-247-0085 for more information.

---------------------------
Saturday-Sunday, July 28-29 - Cape May, Cape May County
'Railroad Days' Event at Historic Cold Spring Village

Historic Cold Spring Village's Annual Railroad Days will be held on Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 am - 4:30 pm. Railroad Days is the perfect outing for folks interested in railroad memorabilia, model and toy trains, or just enjoying a unique collection in a unique historical setting.


Under the big tent at the Welcome Center and along the Village's shady lanes, visitors will find presentations and displays from a variety of groups. As part of their model train layouts, the South Jersey Garden Railroad Society will exhibit a display of Village buildings and a circus setting, and offer a hands-on experience for children of all ages! On display in the Welcome Center will be the South Jersey Garden Railroad Society's fifteen-foot G scale railroad. Additional groups, including the 4-H Club, Just for Fun, and the Strasburg Railroad Club, will exhibit a variety of models and landscapes. Railroad ephemera and memorabilia will be on display and available for purchase throughout the Village. Children can enjoy free toy train rides around the Village, Saturday 11:00 am - 3:00 pm and Sunday 12:00 noon - 4:00 pm. 

Two of the Village's historic structures are linked to Cape May County's own railroading heritage. The Rio Grande Station, donated to HCSV in 1974 and recently added to the National and State Registers of Historic Places, was built in 1894 by the Atlantic City Railroad to serve the Middle Township rural farming community of Rio Grande. The Woodbine Junction Tower is a two-story signal tower built in 1894 that originally stood in Dennis Township. It controlled the Woodbine Junction of the Atlantic City Railroad, which was the western end of a branch line that ran east to Ocean City. The tower was acquired by HCSV in 1974.

Historic Cold Spring Village is located on Route 9, three miles north of Victorian Cape May and a mile and a half west of the southern terminus of the Garden State Parkway. Admission during the season is $10 for adults and $8 for children ages 3 to 12. Children under 3 are admitted free. For more information on events, membership, volunteering, or booking private affairs, please call (609) 898-2300, ext. 10, or visit the Village website www.hcsv.org.

------------------------
Saturday-Sunday, July 28-29 - Jersey City, Hudson, County
Pirates of Penzance Performance

Watch Pirates of Penzance, a live benefit performance by Hoboken's The Theater Company at beautiful Historic Jersey City and Harsimus Cemetery in downtown Jersey City. $20.00 suggested donation, $10.00 for students and seniors. Purchase tickets online at www.brownpapertickets.com/event/257362 or pay at the door. Performances start at 4:00 pm.

The Historic Jersey City and Harsimus Cemetery, founded in 1829, is a National Treasure and is the resting place of soldiers from the Revolutionary & Civil Wars, the War of 1812, the Spanish-American War, WWI & II and Jersey City founders & legends. The cemetery is located at 435 Newark Avenue, Jersey City. For more information: www.thetheatercompany.org or www.jerseycitycemetery.org

------------------------
Sunday, July 29 - Morristown, Morris County
Hub Hollow Bluegrass, Rock & Old Time Music

Listen to local band Hub Hollow who returns to the Macculloch Hall garden after a tremendously popular and well received program last year.  Drawing on bluegrass, rock, & old time music, Hub Hollow has been described as a new kind of old time music. Visitors will have the opportunity to explore through a variety of summer blooms in the garden and relax on the large lawn during the program. Guests may bring picnics, blankets or chairs and settle back for a late afternoon of great music in a beautiful setting. 

The Delicious Ice cream Company will be in attendance for guests to purchase refreshments from a fully restored 1950 custom truck with an authentic ice cream man dressed in an old fashioned outfit. Tickets can be purchased after 1:00 pm on the performance day and will give guests an opportunity to experience Macculloch Hall before heading out to the garden for the concert. The museum is open for tours of the home and galleries between 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm. Enjoy the current exhibit The Other Side of War: The Civil War on the Home Front. Admission is Adults $8; Seniors and Students $6; Children 6 - 12 $4. Members and children under 5 are free. Please no dogs during programs in the garden. There is no rain date for this performance, should inclement weather cause cancellation the announcement will be made on the Museum's main phone message. 

For more information, please contact Ryan Hyman, 973-538-2404 ext. 12 or rhyman@maccullochhall.org.

---------------------------
Sunday, July 29 - Farmingdale, Monmouth County
Beware the Evils of Demon Rum!


Allaire Village, Inc. presents an 1830s Temperance Rally at The Historic Allaire Village located in Allaire State Park on Sunday, July 29th, at 1:00 pm and 2:30 pm. This special event focuses on the villagers of the Howell Iron Works Company of the 1830's and their crusade against the evils of "Demon Rum" and immoderation. It also features a Ladies' Temperance Social to celebrate the advantages of sobriety. There will be a $5/car parking fee to the State Park; admission to the event is free and there is a charge to enter the historic buildings. The Historic Village opens at 12:00 noon and closes at 4:00 pm.

The Temperance movement grew up with the Industrial Revolution. Increasing use of machines for manufacturing led to a greater concern for competent and sober workers in America's factories. But the movement, whose original purpose as to shape and more responsible society through moderation of life's pleasures, soon grew many branches and encompassed many other social causes. The fight to rid the land of the dangers of alcohol was becoming more prominent and women began to play a greater role in the crusade by the 1830's.

The event begins with a meeting and rally of the Howell Work's Temperance Society in the Historic Village and will feature inspiring speeches rallying against the horrors of "Demon Rum." Villagers will encourage visitors in the taking of the Temperance oath. Visitors are also welcome to participate in 19th century games and amusements with the villagers. It's a great day of history and family fun. The Bakery and General Store will be open for shopping and refreshments.

The Historic Village at Allaire is located within Allaire State Park at 4263 Atlantic Avenue, in Farmingdale, Monmouth County, New Jersey. For more information, contact the Allaire Village Incorporated office during business hours, Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, at 732-919-3500 or visit www.allairevillage.org.

-------------------------
Sunday, July 29 - Morristown, Morris County
Old-Fashioned Fun Day

On Sunday, the Morris County Historical Society invites children and their parents to put down that Wii or Xbox for a few hours. Instead, families can share an afternoon of old-time games at Acorn Hall's 13th annual Old-Fashioned Fun Day, from 1:00 to 4:00 pm.

A variety of Victorian-era activities will be offered for children of all ages. There will be both outdoor games like graces, hoop rolling, and croquet, and parlor games like riddles. Children can learn about Victorian scrap-booking and the Romantic-era mania for fairies - even Arthur Conan Doyle was a believer.

Special kid-friendly tours of Acorn Hall will be given. A variety of Victorian-style clothing will be available for dressing up. Parents may bring their cameras for pictures, or purchase an antique-style sepia-toned print. Lemonade and cookies will be served on the back porch.

There is no charge for children under 12 and for active military families. Admission for children 12 and over is $3; for adults, $6; and for seniors, $5. A separate fee may apply for certain activities. Acorn Hall is located at 68 Morris Avenue, Morristown.

The Morris County Historical Society, founded in 1946, is a volunteer, non-profit organization dedicated to encouraging and developing appreciation for and understanding of the history of Morris County and the State of New Jersey. Its headquarters, Acorn Hall, is an 1853 mansion open to the public on Sundays, Mondays, and Thursdays. For directions or additional information call 973-267-3465 or visit www.acornhall.org.

-----------------------------------
Sunday, July 29 - Montague, Sussex County
House Tours, Covered Bridges, and Railroading

The Montague Association for the Restoration of Community History (MARCH) will open the circa 1790 Foster-Armstrong House and the Nelden-Roberts Stonehouse, at 501 Route 206 for Sunday afternoon tours between 1:00 and 4:00 pm. Both are situated within the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area in Montague, NJ and were originally part of the Tocks Island Dam acquisitions. These two sites are utilized by MARCH and portray the area's heritage.

This weekend, Bill Coughlin will be on hand to discuss his covered bridge display on the second floor and on the porch at the Foster-Armstrong House. Model trains will also be displayed by the Sussex Railroad Club, whose members will be on-hand to answer questions about Sussex County's early railroads. www.montaguehistory.org

-----------------------------------
Sunday, July 29 - High Bridge, Hunterdon County
House Tours 

The Union Forge Heritage Association (UFHA) will open the Solitude House Museum for tours every Sunday between 2:00 and 4:00 pm. Visit the home that housed the presidents of the Taylor Steel and Iron Works. While visiting the estate, see the 1742 slave/servant quarters, the historic 1908 Lake Solitude Dam, 1742 Union Iron Works ruins and take a walk on the Taylor Steelworkers Historical Greenway, a 7 mile trail that takes visitors through nature and history in High Bridge. 7 River Road, High Bridge, NJ. 
www.solitudehouse.org

 ----------------------------------- 
Sunday, July 29 - Bridgeton, Cumberland County
Old Broad Street Presbyterian Church Open

The Old Broad Street Presbyterian Church in Bridgeton, will be open this Sunday from 1:00 - 4:00 pm, so that visitors may see its exquisitely-preserved interior. This 1790s building has been called "perhaps the finest and least altered example of high-style Georgian ecclesiastical architecture in the original colonies." Members of the Friends of Old Broad Street Church and Friends of the Broad Street Cemetery will act as docents and gladly answer questions. Admission is FREE but donations are welcome. The church is located at 119 West Commerce Street, Bridgeton, NJ 08302.

-----------------------------------
Sunday, July 29 - Bridgeton, Cumberland County
Potter's Tavern Open

Potter's Tavern in Bridgeton, will be open Sunday afternoon from 1:00 - 4:00 pm. Potter's Tavern was a popular meeting place just before the Revolution due to it proximity to the Cumberland County Courthouse. For several months between December 1775 and February 1776, Matthew Potter posted a manuscript newspaper called The Plain Dealer at his Tavern. Although it voiced opinions pro and con the British, it is remembered as a patriotic voice against Crown rule, making the tavern keeper a hero of the Revolution.

This original 18th-century frame structure, carefully restored at its original site on the Broad Street hill facing the Courthouse, is listed on he National Register and owned and operated by the Cumberland County Historical Society. Contact and other information can be found at www.cchistsoc.org.

-----------------------------------
Sunday, July 29 - Piscataway, Middlesex County
History of Film: 1890-1960

View the exhibit "Lights! Camera! Action! History of Film: 1890-1960" at the 1741 Cornelius Low House Museum in Piscataway. The museum is open Sunday afternoons from 1:00 - 4:00 pm. The exhibit will run through December 31, 2012. 

The Cornelius Low House, built in 1741, was the home to its namesake and is only one of two remaining buildings from historic Raritan Landing. This high-style Georgian mansion is listed on the National Register and operated by the Middlesex County Cultural and Heritage Commission. Admission to the museum is FREE. The museum is located at 1225 River Road, Piscataway, NJ . For more information, visit
http://www.co.middlesex.nj.us/culturalheritage/museum1.asp

-----------------------------------
Some event listings courtesy of the League of Historical Societies of New Jersey

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Weekend Estate Sales: 7/27/12 - 7/29/12



WEEKEND ESTATE SALES
Click on each link for more information on the estate sale!
Find something neat at an estate sale? Let us know!
Hosting an estate sale? Send me an email to be featured in our weekly post!
Be the first to know about these sales on Facebook!

Estate of an antique collector.
Beesley's Point


 Pottery, Glass, Coins
Dumont, NJ 07080



 Collectible Toys Galore
Linden, NJ 07036

Art Collector's Paradise
Morristown, NJ 07960



Antique Farm Tools
Stockton, NJ



Vintage Barbies
Vineland, NJ 08360

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Montague: The Tip of New Jersey

Montague: The Tip of New Jersey
Written by NJ Historian

The Delaware River community of Montague Township, New Jersey, is the state’s northernmost town and home to High Point State Park, the state’s highest elevation. A community with a rich colonial history, it was almost lost in the early 1960s to a federal government project, but thanks to the work of local volunteers, the history of this community has been revived and is marching forward.

The Foster-Armstrong House, circa 1790.
It is unclear to this day for whom Montague is named. In England, at the time of the community’s establishment, there was a literary woman named Lady Mary Wortley Montague, eldest daughter of the Duke of Kingston. She wrote works which attracted great attention. There were also the first and second Dukes of Montague, both famous in English history, and John Montague, solicitor, who was a subject of controversy in the colonies, being a counsel for the New York Proprietors concerning the land grants. Also, there was a Sir Charles Montague, who had been a member of the king's privy council, chancelor of the exchequer, and formerly a member of the Board of Trade in England. Regardless of who it was named after, it is evident that the name Montague was prominent in England and the name was most likely suggested by King George II, who approved the royal patent on March 26, 1759. However, Montague had been settled as early as 1701 and had been under the control of the Dutch until 1664.

A Dutch Reformed Church was organized in Montague in 1737. As throughout most of colonial New Jersey in the mid-1700s, the first major industries to develop in Montague were sawmills, grist mills, blacksmiths, tanneries and small dry goods stores. The sporadic settlement eventually led to the small hamlets of Brick House, Millville, and Tappentown/Duttonville. The hamlet of Brick House contained a hotel, numerous businesses, and a post office – thus it was considered the "Village of Montague." Montague was incorporated as one of New Jersey's initial group of 104 townships by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 21, 1798. River crossings to the Pennsylvania side were by ferry until the bridge to Milford was built about 1829.

Inside the Foster-Armstrong House
Not far from the present-day Route 206 bridge to Milford sits the Foster-Armstrong House. The main, two-story section of the home is believed to have been built in the 1790s by Julius Foster as a public house, or tavern. Foster purchased three tracts of land from Roger Clark, totaling sixty-six acres. This wood frame portion of the house is more characteristic of coastal Dutch architecture than of the upper Delaware Valley. It features a five-bay, center hall design with a Dutch door and is two rooms deep. The stone portion of the home was added sometime after 1820 by Foster's son-in-law, James Britten Armstrong. Both Foster and Armstrong operated sawmills and it can be surmised that they supplied the building materials for the respective sections of the home.  Records indicate that Foster and Armstrong also operated a ferry approximately 1800 to 1835, a distillery, general store and blacksmith shop in the vicinity.

Incomplete tavern license records indicate that Foster ran a public house, or tavern, in 1798-1799,  further supported by a 1916 newspaper obituary of George Armstrong, who had owned the property since 1856, noting that there was an inscription in the house "dated 1817, stating that this house had been for a long time known as a road house." At some point during the late 1790s, a two-story porch was added to the front of the home, common of taverns. The porch was removed at some point in the 1930s and replaced by the current one-story porch.

An undated image of the Foster-Armstrong House showing the two-story porch.
The house was owned and occupied by the Armstrong family until the 1970s. In 1993, the Montague Association for the Restoration of Community History entered into an agreement with the National Park Service to operate a museum at the site.

Inside the Foster-Armstrong House.
Many of the old homes in Montague were purchased by the Army Corps of Engineers for the 1965 Tocks Island Dam Project. The project never materialized and the vacant homes sat deteriorating for many years before being torn down. The reservoir of the proposed Tocks Island Dam would have inundated thirty miles of the Delaware River and 30,000 acres of its river valley (now part of Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area). The defeat of the dam was an early victory of the environmental movement. However, much of the area’s local history suffered from the initial acquisition stages of the failed project. Today, the Delaware Gap National Recreation Area, established in 1965, encompasses the 40 mile river valley and nearly 70,000 acres.

Nelden-Roberts Stonehouse
Traveling south on Route 206 is a rustic but quaint stone house built in the early 1800s. The vernacular stone home is named for George Nelden who arrived in Montague in 1820, and for the Roberts family who also later owned the farm across the road. For a period in the 1820s, it served as a schoolhouse, with quarters for the teacher on the second floor. This property was also acquired by the Army Corps of Engineers for the Tocks Island Dam project. In 1981, the Montague Association for the Restoration of Community History became the home’s caretakers. The main room of the home is set up as it may have appeared in the 1820s as a schoolroom. Upstairs, the school teacher’s bedroom has been recreated.

The Nelden-Roberts Stonehouse
Next time you want to travel to a serene and breathtaking wonder of New Jersey, much like the resort dwellers of the 1800s, consider a visit to Montague and the surrounding natural areas, full of trails for walking and hiking, wildlife and flora, and of course a dose of history.


Additional photos of my trip to Montague, NJ on Pinterest
Audio
Montague Podcast (right click and choose "save target/link as" to save to your hard drive)

For More Information:

Monday, July 23, 2012

Historical Organization of the Week: Save Lucy Committee


Every Monday, I will now highlight a non-profit related to history or the arts, a historical society, preservation group or friends group whose main objective is to promote the historical and artistic history of New Jersey. 

This week, in honor of Lucy the Elephant's 131st birthday, the Save Lucy Committee is being featured. The organization was founded in 1970 by a concerned group of citizens to save Lucy from being demolished. Lucy was built in 1881 but by 1969 had been neglected and was falling apart. The land she resided on had also been sold to developers. Her demise was impending, but thanks to a heroic volunteer effort, the Save Lucy Committee raised enough funding to move Lucy to a Margate, NJ city owned property a few blocks away. By 1974, the Committee had restored the exterior and the interior support system. In the 1990s the interior and exterior were once again renovated and restored.

The Committee has approximately thirty members. Fundraising is on-going to construct an interpretive center to provide expanded and more accessible interpretation as well as to establish an endowment to ensure future maintenance of the buildings and the site.

http://www.lucytheelephant.org
https://www.facebook.com/ElephantLucy

If you are a member of a non-profit organization or know of one that you would like to see featured on this site, please let us know in the comments or send an e-mail to kelly@thehistorygirl.com.